Re: Airlift/National Question

National ordered the two 747's on their own back in the 60's for delivery in
the early 70's, long before the merger around 1980.  National's beautiful
hangar at MIA, designed by Francis Telesca, was built to accommodate 2 747's and
one DC10 and have the doors close behind them.  When National decided that the
747s were too much capacity and could be replaced by DC10-30's they were sold
to Northwest.  There was no Pan Am involvement in this to my knowledge.

I think National #2 was the old Overseas National Airways (ONA) and the pic
that you have.  It didn't last very long.

National #3 was the short-lived Private Jet Expeditions failure in the mid
90's.

And we all know the National #4 since it was the most current.

Pan Am may have bought National for a domestic network but they overpaid in
the bidding war with Texas International and Eastern.  Then they destroyed what
was a great little airline with an excellent balance sheet by dropping routes
all over the place, replacing National management with Pan Am management, and
a host of other screwups.  It took them forever to merge the flight crews and
morale really sucked for quite a while.

Jose Prize
Fan of National, the Airline of the Stars
Fan of flying National's 747 to LAX a couple of times