Re: Airlift/National Question

Ah, that's the name:  Private Jet Expeditions that operated as National for a
short period of time.

You may have been with Airlift but National was certainly not the first
airline to enter the jet age.  National operated the first DOMESTIC jet service
from Noo Yawk to Miami with a leased Pan Am B707 that scooped much bigger Eastern
for a winter season or two.  Pan Am had been operating the B707's
internationally but the winter seasons were slow for them on the European routes and they
could easily afford to part with some aircraft to National who needed the
aircraft for the busy tourist season in South Florida.  The DC8's arrived after
the leased B707 winter escapades.

Further, I believe National started service to London with DC8's until they
got the DC10's.  After the DC10's arrived they were awarded international
routes to Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich and Amsterdam.  I never recall National getting
any routes to South America.  Eastern acquired their South American routes
from Braniff, and American in turn got the routes from Eastern.

Jose Prize
Fan of history undistorted
Fan of seeing the first 707 on the National base the first day
Fan of seeing the first National DC8 on approach to MIA