Long security lines slow passengers at Seattle

Long security lines slow passengers at Seattle

SEATTLE (AP) =97 Two weekends of lengthy security screening lines for=20
passengers leaving Seattle-Tacoma International Airport have frayed=20
tempers, caused some missed flights and led the airport to plead for more=20
federal screeners. "That line is ridiculous," said Janna Christensen, 19,=20
of Redmond, who missed a flight to Missoula, Mont., on Monday. "I was here=
=20
in plenty of time. They have to get this situation fixed." Sea-Tac=20
officials have asked the federal Transportation Security Administration,=20
which handles airport security screening, to deploy a mobile screening=20
force to Seattle to augment the regular TSA staff, airport spokesman Bob=20
Parker said. "I can't think of anyplace in the country that needs it more=20
badly than us," Parker said, describing the recent long lines as=20
"gridlock." The waits reached 90 minutes for travelers during the busy=20
early morning hours Monday and from about 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Parker said.=20
The long lines abated later in the day.

The airport screened about 56,000 departing passengers Sunday, and an=20
estimated 50,000 Monday, Parker said. That's comparable to levels before=20
the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, "which is very good for the=20
industry. "Our mission to get people where they're going and it really=20
pains us when they don't get where they're supposed to," he said.
TSA is looking at hiring some part-time screeners in the next several weeks=
=20
to alleviate the Sea-Tac crush, TSA spokeswoman Suzanne Luber said Monday,=
=20
adding that would be a better option than a mobile screening force. "This=20
is obviously something very concerning to us," she said. "We want to=20
resolve it as quickly as possible." Another TSA spokesman, Brian Turmail,=20
told The Seattle Times that unexpected waves of cruise ship passengers were=
=20
part of the problem. "One day recently, we had 100 buses from cruise ship=20
lines arrive at the exact same time," Turmail said. "We need to work with=20
the cruise ship lines and the airlines to see if they can space out the=20
times when their passengers arrive."

That didn't fly with Parker. "We were gridlocked today, and we had no=20
cruise-ship passengers," he told The Times. "We were gridlocked Sunday=20
before the first cruise-ship passengers arrived," Parker added. "This is=20
not a cruise-ship problem. It's a staffing problem." The TSA staffing level=
=20
in Seattle is 1,040, with 1,035 currently employed, but just under 1,000=20
screeners are available for shifts, with some on military leave, others=20
training new screeners and some on disability leave, she said. Shelley=20
Kinney, 24, of Bellingham, was headed to Los Angeles on Monday. "There's no=
=20
reason it should take this long," she said. "It's summertime, you know=20
there's going to be a lot of people traveling." Luber said the No. 1 reason=
=20
for the crunch is a summertime travel increase =97 she understands from=20
airlines that air travel is up 25 percent over the same period last year.=20
On Monday morning in particular, summer travelers combine with business=20
travelers to create a greater crunch.

Denver has been experiencing a similar problem, she said. The TSA announced=
=20
in May that it would cut 6,000 passenger and baggage screeners from its=20
55,600-person work force by October because of budget constraints. Members=
=20
of Congress, mostly Republican, limited funds for screeners because of=20
concerns the agency grew too big too fast. The first round of 3,000 job=20
cuts was completed late last month. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported=
=20
Tuesday that the cuts reduced TSA's authorized work force at Sea-Tac from=20
1,250 to 1,050, but Luber said those cuts were not an issue in Seattle.=20
Horizon, Alaska and United Airlines each delayed some flights for 10 to 25=
=20
minutes to give passengers a chance to reach the gates, airline spokesmen=20
said. But delaying flights too much can throw airline schedules off=
 elsewhere.

Alaska Airlines, which averages 150 daily departures from Sea-Tac, saw some=
=20
flights depart without all their passengers, said Jack Walsh, an airline=20
spokesman. "The TSA has told us they recognize there is a staffing problem=
=20
and we anxiously look forward to them resolving that problem," Walsh said=20
Monday. The airport has spent $25,000 in overtime for Port of Seattle=20
police over the past two weekends to free up more of the federal employees=
=20
to actually screen passengers, Parker said. He continued to advise=20
travelers to reach the airport two hours in advance of their flights.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/