Detecting hijackers by seat of the pants

Detecting hijackers by seat of the pants
By Fred Reed THE WASHINGTON TIMES

In New Scientist, the British journal of science and technology, I discover
that the British are developing a terrorist-detecting airline seat. Yes. It
will monitor behavior to see whether you might be a
hijacker.      "Intelligent airline seats could automatically alert busy
cabin crew to nervous, shifty passengers, who might be terrorists or
air-ragers," says the magazine.  The alert seat is being designed at
Qinetiq, a firm working under contract for the Ministry of Defense. It will
use an array of pressure-sensors built into the seat to monitor the
passenger's movement. A computer will alert the airplane's crew to anyone
who seems agitated. In the future, says Qinetiq, further sensors may
monitor such things as the passenger's body temperature and the moistness
of his skin to help the computer decide whether he is dangerous.

Other benefits are that the seat could flash a light to warn flight
attendants that the passenger had been in one position too long, which
might lead to deep-vein thrombosis.      When I began writing about
technology, the technology interested me. Now, often, it's the underlying
psychiatry. Airline seats that monitor our mental states? Have we quietly
gone nuts?
A Qinetiq slogan: "The future? We are already working on it." Do you
suppose we could get them to stop?  Another comforting idea being developed
to help us behave is the "Distributed Digital Video Array." These are
interlinked cameras that recognize people of interest and track their
movements. The Department of Defense has given a contract to the Computer
Vision and Robotics Research Laboratory at the University of California at
San Diego to develop them.
The idea is that interlinked cameras, connected to computers, would
recognize suspicious activity, like a car stopping by the fence surrounding
a sensitive installation. The computer would then alert a human operator.

  One sees where this is heading, fast. A geeky friend of mine who works in
related fields told me, "They want to be able to recognize you when you get
off the plane and track you automatically wherever you go. They'll do it.
It's doable. And you'll never know it."  Now, who "they" are is debatable
and what they want is speculation. But the capacity for smart, automated
surveillance is there. And it will improve fast.      There is big money in
anti-terrorism now, including federal grants for research. Further, the
technology for the near-total elimination of privacy happens to be useful
for a wide variety of profitable and legitimate tasks.      Computerized
recognition of faces exists. It works. How well it works is debatable.
Companies like Viisage have been selling face-recognition systems for some
time.

Computers can already visually track moving objects. Years back, as a
police reporter, I saw a helicopter-borne video camera that could lock on
to, say, a particular white car among many others on a freeway below the
helicopter.     The idea was that a human watcher would soon lose a car
among many similar cars. The computer didn't. This is proven
technology.  Computers can read license plates, given of course a
reasonable angle and lighting. This is not new. It's just optical character
recognition.  Linking cameras and their associated computers is, of course,
perfectly easy.
   Would networking all of this be of real use in catching terrorists?
You'd think so. A terrorist scouts a petroleum farm in hopes of blowing it
up, the cameras notice, one of them along the road gets his license number
and passes it to other unobtrusive cameras at all the exits, a central
computer notifies the FBI, and he gets tailed. Says me, a lot of this stuff
will work. I'm just not sure I want it to.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/