Northwest to lay off 150 mechanics

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) =97 Northwest Airlines plans to furlough about 150=
 mechanics=20
due to the decline in Asian-Pacific travel caused by the SARS epidemic, a=20
spokesman said Wednesday. Spokesman Kurt Ebenhoch said the airline notified=
=20
the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association on Tuesday that it needed=20
about 700 fewer technicians because of its previously announced decision to=
=20
temporarily park 16 Boeing 747s. However, Northwest at the same time is=20
opening three new maintenance lines at its Minneapolis-St. Paul base for=20
Boeing 757s and Airbus A320s, which will require around 550 employees, so=20
the net number of furloughs will be about 150, Ebenhoch said. Nearly all of=
=20
the affected positions are in the Twin Cities, he said. In its notification=
=20
to the mechanics' union, Northwest invoked the ``force majeure" clause of=20
its labor contract, which allows it to modify contract terms in the event=20
of a major unforeseen development. AMFA objected Tuesday, saying the SARS=20
situation doesn't justify the furloughs and that no other airline has=20
invoked force majeure because of SARS. The union said it was considering=20
what action to take. "We consider this a clear violation of our contract=20
terms," said Jeff Matthews, AMFA's contract coordinator for Northwest. "...=
=20
This has little to do with SARS and a lot to do with Northwest's desire to=
=20
cut costs by circumventing its contract obligations."

Ebenhoch said all airlines serving the Asia-Pacific region have been hurt=20
by SARS. "We communicated to all of our unions some time ago that we=20
believe SARS is a force majeure event, and that it is having a significant=
=20
impact on Northwest," he said. He noted that Northwest reported earlier=20
that its May traffic on Asia-Pacific routes was down 26 percent from a year=
=20
earlier due to fears of SARS, and that it reduced capacity on those routes=
=20
by 13 percent to help narrow the gap by substituting smaller planes and=20
cutting some flights. Ebenhoch also noted that Northwest announced in March=
=20
it expected to cut about 2,000 mechanics' jobs as part of 4,900 layoffs=20
worldwide, or 11 percent of its work force, due to the war in Iraq. The=20
actual number turned out to be 1,685, so even with the 150 new furloughs=20
the total is still 165 below the original estimate, he said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/