Worcester airport has security, but no flights

Worcester airport has security, but no flights

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) =97 A state commission has awarded the little-used=20
Worcester Regional Airport $213,800 for security, even though the airport=20
no longer provides any commercial passenger service. Rep. John Binienda,=20
D-Worcester, said the grant by the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission was=
=20
an investment in a regional asset that he was optimistic would someday be=20
revitalized. "You're thinking toward the future, and the private jets there=
=20
now could be a (security) problem," he told the Telegram & Gazette of=20
Worcester. "Everything's in place. All we need is airlines and passengers."=
=20
He also said: "There's a lot of problems in the world, and we have to make=
=20
sure our airport is safe, even if it is now only for privately owned=20
planes. People want to fly out of a safe place. If we had a disaster up=20
there, it would kill it for sure." USAirways was the last to leave the=20
airport, pulling out in March. The federal Transportation Security=20
Administration has transferred its security workers =97 and most of its=20
equipment =97 to other airports. Ann E. Davis, a spokeswoman for the TSA,=20
told the newspaper that the federal agency no longer considered the airport=
=20
a security threat because it had no commercial flights. "We consider=20
Worcester a general aviation airport," Davis said. "If airlines wanted to=20
use Worcester, we'd definitely come back. We'd have to."

The money will be used for a computerized gate system to control access to=
=20
the runways and to install lighting in the general aviation section of the=
=20
airport, which is used by small private planes. "There's a need for=20
security at the airport even though they don't have commercial service,"=20
said Robert Mallard, executive director of the aeronautics commission.=20
"It's stuff they'll need anyway." The money comes mostly from the Federal=20
Aviation Administration, which provided 90% of the grant =97 $192,420. The=
=20
rest is from the state. The recent round of security grants, which also=20
went to six other airports, is part of a $15 million expenditure on=20
security equipment at smaller Massachusetts airports since Sept. 11, 2001.=
=20
Officials at the Massachusetts Port Authority, which runs the airport,=20
welcomed the grant, saying the money would help secure the small plane=20
area. "It's still a very active field," said Jose Juves, a Massport=
 spokesman.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/