NYTimes.com Article: The Ridiculous Side of Airport Security

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

The Ridiculous Side of Airport Security

June 17, 2003
By JOE SHARKEY

Like most business travelers, I've become good at sailing
through airport security without a hitch. With no metal in
my pockets, not even the foil on a stick of gum, I
invariably step across the magnetometer without setting off
the alarm.

Which is exactly what I did on Saturday morning on my way
to a flight from the airport in Phoenix. So why was that
checkpoint screener in an uproar?

"Sir! Sir!" she barked in that unmistakable tone that says
you are in violation of an official's rule, regulation or
whim. She ordered me to step back through the magnetometer.

"Take your shoes off!" she said.

"They're sneakers. There's no metal in them," I replied.
Obviously, this was true, since I had just passed through
the magnetometer twice without setting it off. Sneakers,
which don't have the metal supports typically found in
shoes, have become the frequent flier's standard choice in
footwear.

"I don't care," she said. "You have to put them through the
machine."

"Is that just a rule for Phoenix?" I asked.

"It's for every airport," she replied with the firm
certainty of the invincibly clueless.

So I took the sneakers off and went through again in my
socks. On the other side, as I was putting my sneakers on -
screeners' electronic wands had been placed on the few
chairs, rendering them unavailable for use by passengers
who wanted to sit down to put their shoes back on - I heard
the same screener barking new orders at the checkpoint.

This time the culprits were a stocking-footed young couple
and their infant child, who was dressed in white and
wearing a pair of those tiny white baby shoes that parents
used to save and dangle on their cars' rearview mirrors.

"The baby's shoes have to go through the machine or that
baby gets wanded," the guard warned the startled parents,
who quickly complied. Wisely, the baby kept its little
mouth shut.

The federal Transportation Security Administration took
over responsibility for airport security checkpoints early
last year. Since then, the T.S.A. has been given abundant
credit for replacing a sour, often surly, indisputably
underpaid and badly trained work force with a decently paid
group of federal employees who at least understand that
passengers are not to be treated like inmates in a
maximum-security prison.

In the process, however, the agency has come under fierce
criticism for spending more than $5 billion in its first
year, mostly to hire 55,000 screeners, twice the size of
the former security work force. Reacting to Congressional
complaints about overstaffing at a time when air traffic is
down, the T.S.A. laid off 3,000 screeners last month and
plans to let another 3,000 go after the summer travel
season.

But from the start, some critics have denounced the agency
not just for its spending, but for uneven or capricious
application of rules, and for what they say is a
fundamentally flawed approach to airport security itself.

Over the last 18 months, hundreds of juicy tales of
silliness at the security lane have supported their case.
For example, Al Gore and Dan Quayle, former vice presidents
of the United States, independently told me last year that
they were routinely taken aside for extra security
pat-downs. Another example I like is the pilot who was told
by a checkpoint guard that his carry-on bags were being
pawed through because "we can't allow you to have anything
that would let you take over the plane."

Things have improved as security guards have gotten better
at their jobs. But obviously, the silliness can still be
found, as the shoeless infant showed me on Saturday.

That prompted me to recall another recent trip to Phoenix.
I thought of some remarks on security made by Michael Boyd,
the airline consultant and pundit, at a conference of
regional airline executives there in late May.

"One of the airports we work with described having the
T.S.A. on site as having an army of occupation take over
your airport. Unfortunately, it's the French Army," Mr.
Boyd cracked.

"What we've done is reactive and predictable," he said.
"Some clown tries to blow up a 767 over the Atlantic using
his shoe, now we're all looking at shoes. Thank God he
didn't have that bomb hidden in his knickers."

He added: "Looking for pointy objects - that's not
security. They're looking to find nail files, a pocketknife
- then they come out and say, `Look at the weapons we
found.' A nail file, boys and girls, is not a weapon."

The T.S.A., of course, rejects the idea that looking for
pointy objects is pointless. The agency said, for example,
that its screeners intercepted more than 4.8 million
prohibited items at airport security checkpoints last year.
Among them, the agency said, were "1,101 firearms, nearly
1.4 million knives, nearly 2.4 million other sharp objects
including scissors, 39,842 box cutters, 125,273 incendiary
or flammable objects, and 15,666 clubs."

In a statement announcing those interceptions, the agency's
administrator, former Adm. James M. Loy of the Coast Guard,
said, "Those statistics are strong testimony to the
professionalism and attention to detail of our highly
trained security screeners." Although most intercepted
items represented "inadvertent violations" by passengers,
he said, "keeping dangerous items off flights is a top
priority and we must err on the side of caution."

Mr. Boyd and other industry critics deride the agency's
major security thrust - looking for objects on passengers -
as "window dressing" that annoys passengers and imposes
huge costs on airlines while ignoring significant security
vulnerabilities elsewhere, like cargo areas, around gates,
in warehouses and in maintenance areas of airports and
seaports.

"Security is anticipating," he said. "You want to know what
anticipation is? It's not looking for pointy objects.
Security is saying, `What could these clowns do next, and
where are we vulnerable?' "

A request for readers' comments on frequent-flier upgrades
in last week's column elicited a large response. Next
week's column will present a sampling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/17/business/17ROAD.html?ex=1056854285&ei=1&en=d265240d70d6ed24

http://www.nytimes.com/ads/nytcirc/index.html

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company