No severance pay for Carty......Ex-CEO will receive benefits earned in 25-year career

No severance pay for Carty......Ex-CEO will receive benefits earned in=20
25-year career
By Trebor Banstetter
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - Don Carty, the AMR Corp. chief executive who resigned in=20
April, will not receive a severance package from the company, airline=20
officials said Friday. The board of directors of Fort Worth-based AMR,=20
parent of American Airlines, made the decision recently, and executives=20
informed employees Friday, spokesman Al Becker said. But Carty will receive=
=20
more than $8 million after taxes from a controversial bankruptcy-proof=20
executive retirement plan -- a program that helped spark the employee=20
revolt that led to his resignation. "We feel we can now close this chapter=
=20
in our recent history," AMR Chairman Ed Brennan said in a message to=20
employees Friday afternoon. "[We] wish Don well for his years of loyal=20
service, and [can now] stay focused on American's recovery." Many=20
compensation experts had anticipated that Carty would get a generous=20
severance deal -- some predicted as much as $5 million to $10 million --=20
because his voluntary resignation preserved newly negotiated labor=20
concessions and helped keep the airline out of bankruptcy. Outgoing CEOs=20
typically get some type of severance package regardless of the reason for=20
their departure, said Graef Crystal, an executive-compensation expert who=20
writes a column for Bloomberg News. "I'm really quite amazed," Crystal=20
said. "Almost every other CEO has gone out with at least a couple years'=
 pay."

Union leaders praised the board's decision. "We do not believe Carty=20
deserved any type of special severance package," said George Price of the=20
Association of Professional Flight Attendants, which represents American's=
=20
flight attendants. "The condition of the company as it stands right now is=
=20
in large part due to his mismanagement of the company." Jim Little of the=20
Transport Workers Union, which represents American's mechanics and ground=20
workers, said Carty's severance "was the last piece of that issue that was=
=20
still hanging out there, and now we can move on." He added that "based on=20
what transpired, he certainly didn't deserve anything." Efforts to reach=20
Carty by telephone at his house in Dallas were unsuccessful. Becker said=20
the board's decision was "different from what a lot of CEOs receive in=20
these situations." But the former chief executive won't leave the company=20
empty-handed. He will receive all of the benefits he earned during his=20
25-year career at American, including:

=95 A $13.5 million payment from American's supplemental executive=
 retirement=20
plan, which will total $8.2 million after taxes.

=95 $79,000 annually from the airline's defined-benefit pension plan.

=95 Shares of stock and stock options he earned during his career.

=95 Payment for unused vacation time.

=95 Full retiree health and travel benefits.

"Many CEOs receive a minimum of a multiple of their salary, in addition to=
=20
their pensions, when they leave a company," American officials told=20
management employees in a memo issued Friday afternoon. "Carty is to=20
receive no additional payments." Unlike many chief executives, Carty did=20
not work under an employment contract, so severance was the board's=20
decision. Becker said Carty did not request severance and did not oppose=20
the board's decision, given American's steep losses during the past two=20
years. "He is very much aware of American's financial situation," Becker=20
said. Becker also said American "doesn't generally talk about an employee's=
=20
retirement benefits, but we've made an exception here because of the=20
unusual circumstances under which Mr. Carty left our company." Carty=20
stepped down amid an uproar over lucrative executive bonuses and retirement=
=20
benefits that weren't disclosed until after employees had approved painful=
=20
concessions.

After learning of the executive perks, union leaders threatened to hold new=
=20
elections on the concessions, a move that likely would have pushed the=20
airline into bankruptcy. The situation was defused after Carty resigned and=
=20
American made changes to the new labor contracts. The board also eliminated=
=20
the executive bonuses, but kept the executive retirement plan, which was=20
worth $25 million after taxes. American has lost more than $6 billion since=
=20
2000 amid a steep drop in business travel, an intense fare war with=20
discount airlines and continued fallout from 9-11. Carty has kept a low=20
profile since leaving the company, granting just one interview, on business=
=20
news channel CNBC. At the time, he said that while he had lots of options,=
=20
he hadn't decided what he plans to do next.

What Carty will get

=95 A $13.5 million payment from the supplemental executive retirement plan,=
=20
or $8.2 million after taxes.

=95 $79,000 annually from the airline's defined- benefit pension plan.

=95 Shares of stock and stock options he earned.

=95 Full retiree health and travel benefits.

SOURCE: American Airlines

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/