Airport angels let travelers mail home confiscated items

Airport angels let travelers mail home confiscated items

LITTLE ROCK (AP) =97 Security scanners say they've confiscated everything,=
=20
including the kitchen sink, at the Little Rock National Airport.  "We used=
=20
to tell people we saw everything but the kitchen sink, but then we had one=
=20
of those," said Jerry Henderson, Federal Security director at the airport.=
=20
But for travelers who are stopped with smaller items, like scissors or=20
pocket knives, the Airport Angels come to the rescue. The airport's force=20
of two dozen volunteers started a program in January that lets passengers=20
mail sentimental items home. So far, they've sent 1,000 mailings. Travelers=
=20
pay $2 for each padded envelope, with a sticker boasting "Angels Squadron"=
=20
on the front. They've mailed items to 45 states and five countries.

The program saves the security agents from having to dispose of the items,=
=20
which piled up to nearly 1,500 pounds over the last year. Henderson donated=
=20
that haul to the state last week, which is doling it out to different=20
agencies. Scissors were donated to schools. Mace went to the police=20
department. There are boxes of confiscated items in Henderson's office. He=
=20
paws through the tubs, which are filled with fireworks, pocket knives,=20
matches, lighters, screwdrivers, ammunition and nail clippers. One=20
traveler, he said, tried to bring a frozen armadillo in a plastic bag=20
through security in Fort Smith. Another group of passengers wanted to bring=
=20
a log from the Beaver Dam through, along with a chain saw filled with=20
gasoline. A tiled stone in the shape of the American flag sits in=20
Henderson's office. "Anything that can disable a person or bring down a=20
plane," said Chuck Polk, who also works in security at the airport. "You=20
have to think also could somebody take it away from you?"

However, the more interesting items are what Henderson calls, "artfully=20
concealed." Last week a man came through security with a half-dozen=20
razorblades slid in the binding of his Bible, he said. And when security=20
twisted a lipstick tube that a woman tried to carry-on, a razorblade popped=
=20
up instead of makeup. The confiscated items are dropped in a locked=20
mail-box style bin near the security monitors at the airport. Agents empty=
=20
the bin every two weeks. Most passengers are upset at surrendering their=20
personal items, not at the security agents, Henderson said. That's why he=20
appreciates the mail-back program, which appeases travelers and saves his=20
office from dealing with the extra items. "This is probably an $80 tool,"=20
he says, picking a leather-cased pocket knife out of a box. "And we would=20
just as soon somebody send it back home to themselves for $2." Passengers=20
notice too. A Dallas businessman sent the airport a handwritten note,=20
thanking them for mailing his knife home. "In the rush, I forgot to remove=
=20
my knife and thought of it only after our luggage was checked," he wrote.=20
"You were angels to help me."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/