Re: Last (Dulles) Concorde From Paris....

I met several AIRLINE and/or SKY-1 denizens at Washington Dulles
International Airport yesterday as we gathered for the arrival of F-BVFA,
the Concorde Air France has donated to the Smithsonian Institute's Air and
Space Museum. A couple of hundred people, mostly airport office workers
judging from the badges many wore, waited on top of Dulles's Parking Garage
1 for the Concorde's arrival on 19L. Whereas we're all too familiar with
stories of spotters being run off from good spotting locations, there were
at least three airport police cars on top of the garage, waiting like the
rest of us. In fact, one police car had come by earlier to assure us that
we were in the right place and to let us know that it wasn't due for
another hour. Actually, the policeman was wrong. Although it apparently was
late out of Paris, it was early into Dulles, getting in around 10 AM local
time.

The weather was slightly overcast and hazy, and we were shooting toward the
sun, so the pictures aren't the best, but they're not bad, either. :-)
Another minor disappointment was that plans for a low fly-by before landing
were scratched, apparently by the pilot. Still, it was an awesome site to
see it approach and land, and it was well worth the use of the vacation day
to see it, not to mention the $15 I ended up spending on
parking at
Dulles. :-) And, as a bonus, I now know a few more people in real life that
I met first on e-mail.

Nick

PS - sorry if this is old news; I haven't seen any AIRLINE traffic since
late Wednesday and suspect the server is constipated again.