From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
B787300@xxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:54 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Northeast service from MIA to LAX (was Re: Sports Charters
(was Whose 727...

I wish some former Northeast old-timer were on the list to give us more
information about the operations back then.  One interesting thing that I
read on a
website after a Google search of "northeast airlines routes" was that
Northeast was the launch customer for the B727-200 - I don't recall reading
that
before.  George B. Storer, a Miami communications magnate who owned TV and
radio
stations, including his namesake WGBS-AM in Miami, invested heavily in
Northeast so they could build up their fleet.

Jose Prize
Fan of history

HREF="mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

> You're right, Joe, about the FLL versus MIA.
>
> Northeast did operated from MIA to LAX. I was thinking of the proposed
> merger
> with NW.  Northwest had originally wanted to merge with NE but the CAB
would
> not allow the MIA/LAX route to be part of the merger so that merger was
> called
> off.
>
> I remember reading something about the NE MIA/LAX service - it was
operated
> nonstop with a reduced payload so it could be done nonstop. Granted, it
> still
> may have had times when it had to stop enroute westbound but I don't think
> it
> would have been that common, especially in the summer time.
>
> David
> >I evidently missed the sports charter intention in the sentence that said
> the
> >727 could fly anywhere in the USA to anywhere in the USA non-stop (I
> presume
> >they're not counting Alaska and Hawaii).
> >
> >While Northeast may have used the longer-range B727-100 series they still
> had
> >to make numerous fuel stops enroute to the West Coast due to the jet
> stream.
> >However, I don't believe Northeast ever served the market from Ft.
> Lauderdale
> >as you state.  Northeast existed during the days of CAB regulation and
the
> >CAB awarded the southern transcontinental non-stop route authority from
MIA
> >California on September 23, 1969.  MIA means MIA, not FLL, as the CAB was
> very
> >specific in their regulations.
> >
> >While Northeast timetables may say "Ft. Lauderdale/Miami" the service was
> >operated from MIA.  Back in those days there was very little service to
FLL
> >relatively speaking and most of the airlines used "Ft. Lauderdale/Miami"
in
> >their
> >timetables, with a "M" for Miami and a "F" in the actual flight schedules
> >distinguish where the flight actually arrived and departed.  The last CAB
> route
> >book that I have doesn't show any authorized routes from FLL to
California