Talpa: BWIA pilots loyal to company

BY JUHEL BROWNE
Guardian 06.12.03

Trinidad and Tobago Airline Pilots Association chairman Capt Rory Lewis has
expressed the support of BWIA pilots for what he said was the Government's
commitment to the airline even as Trade and Industry Minster Kenneth Valley
told the carrier to cut labour costs or lose State financial support. In a
press release, Lewis said: "We congratulate the Government for its
commitment to the preservation of our national airline, and the pilots of
BWIA confirm their loyalty to the company and their commitment to do all
that is possible to restore viability to the operations. We are sure that,
in the circumstances, this commitment is shared by all BWIA employees." The
release also said Talpa has come out in support of Government's decision to
assist BWIA in recovering from its present financial difficulties.  On
Monday, the Government's Intern-Ministerial Committee on BWIA, of which
Valley is a member, told members of the BWIA Board it will have to reduce
its labour cost if the State is to invest an additional money in
cash-strapped airline. Valley had issued the ultimatum to the airline at
last Thursday's post-Cabinet briefing.

Valley said the BWIA management and the unions had until the end of this
week to negotiate a plan to reduce labour expenses. The release said Lewis
recounted the earlier months of 2003 when the pilots contributed the lion's
share of employee savings through salary and work-rule concessions.  "We
are well on the way. What we need to do now is to meet with the Government,
the new management and the advisors to discuss strategies for further cost
reduction and, most important, revenue generation. BWIA employees, with
their expertise and experience, have a lot to offer in these areas, and we
have all been pushing for this since October last year," Lewis said. Lewis
also asked the public to continue to support BWIA during the crucial summer
season. Within the next four months BWIA must be able to meet a US$2.3
million monthly payments to its aircraft lessors, the International Leasing
Finance Corporation or face a possible seizure of its aircraft. Government
has assured ILFC it would guarantee the monthly payments if BWIA does not
earn enough revenue before issuing its ultimatum to the airline last Thursday.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/