Re: Courtesy....the facts

Regarding so-called "courtesy" copies:  I have been an Internet
list-owner for many, many years, and in fact run the List-Managers
mailing list, where this question comes up from time to time.  There is
no easy answer.  The number of people who *like* the extra copy and the
number of people who *dislike* the extra copy appear to be roughly
equal.  (Most people don't seem to care much either way).
Historically, courtesy copies appear to have originated on Usenet,
where newsgroup postings and emailed replies took different routes, and
email was typically delivered much more quickly than netnews postings.

Reasons for wanting the extra copy:
1. List mail slow or unreliable (not a problem with AIRLINE)
2. List mail is filed separately, may not be looked at immediately, but
a reply to a post you made will be highlighted by being sent directly
to your mailbox.

Reasons for not wanting the extra copy:
1. Just another message to delete.
2. Wastes network resources.

Personally I think it's a wash and I'm in the "don't care" camp.   My
advice is to omit it for people that you know to be annoyed, and
otherwise just go with whatever default the list-owner has set.  In any
case it is not worth arguing about.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx