?Time Islands Back Regional Airlines?

'Time Islands Back Regional Airlines'
By Tony Best
Express 06.11.03

A COMPREHENSIVE rescue plan is needed to help make Caribbean airlines
financially viable. And the money should come from the countries which rely
on Air Jamaica, BWIA, LIAT and Bahamasair to bring tourists to their
shores.  That plea has come from Obie Wilchcombe, chairman of the Caribbean
Tourism Organisation (CTO) and Minister of Tourism in The Bahamas, who said
that in much the same way Caribbean countries had helped foreign carriers,
they should certainly do the same for their own.  "Let's face it, the
Caribbean countries, some of us subsidise some of the other airlines that
are not regional," he said recently in New York. "Why can't we look at what
regional airlines should be doing for Caribbean tourism?  "That is the
question we should examine. After examining the question, if we appreciate
that Air Jamaica, BWIA, Bahamas-air have been making a contribution, then
why not find the necessary funds to ensure that these airlines are
contributing to tourism?"  Wilchcombe, who was in New York for the annual
Caribbean Tourism Week organised by the CTO, said the first priority for
countries that range from his own, Jamaica, Barbados and The Bahamas to
Trinidad and Tobago and its neighbours in the Eastern Caribbean was to
undertake an airline needs assessment and then take the necessary
action.  "We ought first and foremost to take a look at our needs as best
as we can and prepare ourselves for any difficult situations down the
road," was the way he put it.  "We have seen what can happen. We have seen
the airline industry fall apart and we have seen the fall-out as a result
of the tragedy of 9/11, the hostilities of the Gulf War and the recent war.
So, should we not now be looking at what we need to do?"

Wilchcombe said it was clear that despite the terrorist attacks, the global
economic slowdown and the recent war in Iraq, tourists, including
Americans, were willing to travel and take vacations in foreign countries.
That was why the Caribbean, one of the world's premier vacation spots, must
put its carriers in a good position to provide the airlift needed by the
various tourism destinations.  "One of the things we will discover is that
people still will travel, despite the problems," he said. "Last year people
took more than 700 million trips. They will travel.  "The fact of the
matter is that we must put these airlines in the destinations people are
going to and depart from in a good position. I believe their choice will be
the Caribbean. I believe we can find the way; it's up to us."  His comments
came after BWIA and the Trinidad and Tobago government secured the release
of two of the carrier's planes, which were seized in Miami for nonpayment
of debts. BWIA was given about four months to pay off the arrears, which
amounted to about $100 million.  Air Jamaica, Bahamas-air and LIAT are also
losing money.  But Wilchcombe, who is presided over the CTO's board of
directors meetings in New York last week and played a prominent role at the
Caribbean State Ball at the Waldorf Astoria last Friday evening, said the
region couldn't simply allow its airlines to bleed to financial
death.  "It's up to the Caribbean region determining that we will be
responsible for our destiny; that we will take on the responsibility and
stop depending on others to do the job that we ought to be doing and
finding the easy way out," he said.  "We have to look at these thorny
questions, find the solutions and work effectively towards the execution of
solutions."

Wilchcombe, CTO secretary-general Jean Holder, and several Caribbean
ministers of tourism, including Philip Pierre of St Lucia, took part in A
Caribbean Fair to Remember in Manhattan earlier in the week.  Denis
Walcott, deputy mayor; Virginia Fields, Manhattan Borough president; and
former New York City Council member Una Clarke also participated in the
official opening of Caribbean Tourism Week.  Individual Caribbean tourism
agencies set up booths and distributed literature on their respective
destinations. Some served special dishes, providing noon-day strollers with
a taste of the Caribbean.  Music provided by a prominent steel band and the
Royal Barbados Police Band entertained the large crowd. The Police Band,
which proved to be a big hit with New Yorkers and West Indians alike, was
partly sponsored by the Barbados Tourism Authority.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/