Union Influence.

Before we lost track of the subject matter which I recall was the =
Canadian Air Traffic Controllers possibly going on strike.  Someone made =
a comment, it may have been Dave, that the politicians would trade votes =
for perks to gain the Union's endorsement/vote.  I have been told in no =
uncertain terms that politicians don't care about the controllers union =
votes and they're not going to put themselves out on a limb for maybe =
20,000 possible votes.  The FAA recognized the fact that something had =
to be done with the pay structure.  You couldn't draw controller talent =
to a place like O'Hare Tower or TRACON when someone at Pittsburgh and =
other Level V facilities were
 making the same money.  In 1987-88 timeframe action was started to =
achieve appropriate pay differential at O'Hare.  It was called Pay =
Demonstration.  A program to test it's effect for a five year period.  =
This culmuniated in locality pay and new facility classification.  The =
Union was definitely involved in this project.  I'm not trying to down =
play the Unions importance or involvement in this project.
 Probably my only regret at retiring since my retirement pay was based =
on my high 3 year average.  Talked to  a friend who just retired from a =
southern facility.  he told me he made more in retirement now than he =
made at O'Hare with overtime and all the other differentials.

Al