TSA says stun guns suitable for deployment on planes

TSA says stun guns suitable for deployment on planes

WASHINGTON (AP) =97 The Transportation Security Administration says=20
non-lethal stun guns could be allowed on
airplanes as another layer of security.  In a report to Congress, the=20
agency said electronic shock devices could be an effective deterrent=20
against hijackers. But it deferred a decision on whether to approve=20
requests by United Airlines and Mesa Air Group to let their pilots carry=20
the weapons.  Mesa Air Group operates America West Express, US Airways=20
Express and Mesa Airlines.

"We see electrical shock devices as having the potential to contribute to=20
our layers of security, but when it comes to deploying any weapons systems=
=20
on aircraft, we owe it to the traveling public to make sure we do it=20
safely," TSA spokesman Robert Johnson said Monday.  United and Mesa are the=
=20
only airlines that have asked the TSA for permission to arm pilots with=20
stun guns. In considering the proposals, the TSA needs to come up with=20
rules on who will be trained to use the weapons, what kind of training will=
=20
be required, and whether the stun guns will be stored in cockpits or=20
cabins.  Congress created TSA after the Sept. 11 attacks and gave it the=20
power to decide whether to allow pilots to carry guns or non-lethal=20
weapons. After the TSA decided against arming pilots, Congress overrode the=
=20
Bush administration and enacted a law allowing pilots to volunteer to carry=
=20
guns. Several dozen have been trained and are carrying guns in the cockpit.

Last Friday, the TSA sent Congress the report saying stun guns could be=20
allowed. Johnson said the look at stun guns was part of a study of all=20
kinds of non-lethal weapons, including chemical systems.  "Basically, we=20
opened James Bond's closet and took a look at everything in it to see what=
=20
would be appropriate to put on board an aircraft in the name of security,"=
=20
Johnson said. "Electronic shock devices were the only technology that would=
=20
improve our ability."  A study last year by the National Institute of=20
Justice found that such weapons could allow flight crews to stop=20
hijackings, but more tests were needed.  Johnson said the TSA still is=20
working out the details of the United and Mesa proposals before giving them=
=20
the OK.  "The airlines should see this report as a positive step forward=20
and can expect a decision on their proposal soon," he said. "We're=20
confident we will be able to resolve these questions."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/