Re: Strike by air traffic controllers looms, threatens airport operations

Like most things on here, it is a matter of opinion but as I recall the vast
majority of Americans supported the firings at the time.

I'll never forget sitting on a twin engine USAir prop job waiting for a 0700
departure from BGM to LGA that day.  The captain announced that the
controllers had gone out on strike and that we had to go back in the terminal.  While
walking across the ramp to the terminal the lone tower controller on duty was
out on the tower catwalk above the small terminal shooting the middle finger at
us.  We gave him an identical salute in return and to think he got fired for
going on strike is rather comforting.

Fifteen minutes later a non-striker or supervisor was on duty and we boarded
the flight and took off.  LGA was an absolute zoo.  Our connecting Eastern
flight departed the gate on time but we held on a taxiway for at least three
hours waiting for takeoff and they served drinks and allowed the smokers to light
up to keep everyone placated.  The flight to MIA was somewhat weird in that we
kept changing directions for the majority of the trip.

Jose Prize