Re: YMX - and Toronto

I think the logic behind Mirabel for SSTs was the fact that they built it out in the sticks, and expropriated an enormous buffer zone around the airport.  The reason of course, was noise, SSTs are noisy even by the DC8/707 standards of the day.  Dorval is actually in a very built up suburban area.  The day a widebody goes down on takeoff from 24L or 24R, many people on the ground will be killed as well with enormous residential and commercial property damage (06L and 06R would only wipe out highway traffic and some industrial areas, but an approach accident would have the same effect on residential areas).  Also on 28/10 but that one is only 7000 ft and typically used only by short-hauls.

Toronto almost had its own "Mirabel" at Pickering, but it never got off the ground, as it were, and Pearson (or Malton as it was at the time) was developed instead.

Mike Gammon