Re: YMX

Mike:

I agree with you on Mirabel's history and the factors
that caused it to fall short of its planned dominance
in the Canadia, but the since its conception, the
economy has flip-flopped dozens of times. Had it
really taken off, and businesses located in the
Mirabel area, the airport might have been something.

I remember your much talked about GST and the Meech
Lake thing. Those moves together really screwed the
Montreal area economy and helped Toronto Pearson
become what it is now: Canada's dominant airport.
BTW, who got the big contracts to build Mirabel: the
French or the English side of things in Canada? I
understand Canada capitulated a great deal to the
French on the power plant issue and a few other things
that probably in the long run, tanked the economy in
favor of the English side and like our Richard Nixon
did to us here in Massachusetts in the 70's, he never
forget that we didn't vote for him and made sure
government contracts went elsewhere. (Closed our
Quincy Shipyard boat building facilities)

So, politics is to blame, but later politics should
have boosted this economy to have ripple affects to
make Mirabel more than a corpse. IMHO

Mike Burris
Cambridge, Mass