Re: YMX

YMX, a big political boondoggle.

Back in the 60's, Montreal was Canada's largest city.  Most international
services served Montreal first and Toronto as an afterthought.  And everyone
forecast that transatlantic flights would be nothing but 747s and Concordes
(Air Canada even had orders for Concorde, later cancelled).  Then there was
the noise factor, and the desire for future expansion.  So Mirabel was built
way out in the sticks.  The intial plan was for more than one terminal.
Plans also included autoroute and rail links (in fact there is a rail
station in the basement of the terminal, but with no rails!)

Then the world changed.  The Concorde ended up as an expensive toy for the
rich.  The separatists took power in Quebec and Montreal became the no. 2
city in Canada, with the consequential drop in traffic.  Airlines went
hub-and-spoke, and with two airports (Dorval and Mirabel), Montreal became
at a distinct disadvantage.  Many airlines pulled out.  Others only
grudgingly served Mirabel.  On top of that the highway and rail links were
never completed, hwy 13 designed to go right to the terminal ended several
miles short forcing a long detour on other roads.

When airports were privatized in Montreal, ADTML eventually decided to
relocate all sched flights to Dorval and leave charters at YMX.  Now, by
2004, all passenger traffic will relocate to Dorval.  I expected this would
happen, that on charter traffic alone Mirabel couldn't support itself (on
some weekdays, there were as few as 7 departures for this huge terminal).

It's too bad.  Mirabel could have worked with the rail and highway links, if
all traffic was relocated there.  The terminal, in spite of the PTVs, was
much better than Dorval's.  Getting through customs was much more efficient,
you spilled out from the PTVs right at passport control instead of the
interminable walk you face at Dorval.

That's it in a nutshell.  I leave it to others to fill the gaps in the story
and name the specific politicians that spent our money on this huge wasteful
project.

Mike Gammon