Ottawa grounds direct flights to Beirut

Last Updated Tue, 03 Jun 2003 18:32:39

OTTAWA - The federal government has cancelled Air Canada's licence to fly
to Beirut just days before the service was supposed to start.  The airline
was supposed to begin the non-stop service from Montreal this week. But it
said it was told Saturday that the government pulled the licence over
concerns about terrorism.  A report in The Globe and Mail Tuesday quoted
airline and industry sources as saying U.S. officials had warned the
federal government against allowing the flights.  The sources said the
Americans were worried that flights from Beirut could become an easy way
for terrorists to get into North America.

American influence denied

The newspaper quoted a spokesperson from the Solicitor General's Department
as saying there was no American influence in making the decision.  Air
Canada spokesperson John Rebber said the move came as a
surprise.  "Fortunately, we have a number of strong airline partners and
working with them, we can reroute our customers over Frankfurt or Vienna,"
Rebber said.  He said the loss of one more source of revenue is not good
news for the cash-strapped airline.  Passengers wanting to get to Lebanon
will instead have to take a flight that makes stops in Europe.

Written by CBC News Online staff

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/