Traveler angry over opened caribou parcels by airport security

Traveler angry over opened caribou parcels

ANCHORAGE (AP) =97 Caribou hunter David Williams is angry about what airport=
=20
security did to a bounty of meat he took home from an Alaska adventure.=20
When the Houston, Texas, man arrived home in March he was in for a nasty=20
surprise. When Williams cut open the strapping tape holding shut the first=
=20
of two boxes full of carefully handled, carefully packaged caribou roasts,=
=20
steaks and burger, he found a mess inside and a preprinted form informing=20
him his airline baggage had been "inspected."

The inspection involved slicing open 45 packages of caribou double-wrapped=
=20
in freezer paper and marked "roast," "backstrap" and "caribou hamburger."=20
"This baggage inspection was not done in my presence," he said. "Therefore=
=20
I don't know if the meat was stacked on the floor during the 'prohibited=20
item search.' He also wants to know if it was swabbed by chemicals for=20
explosive detection, or did any bomb-sniffing dogs lick it. He wonders if=20
inspectors had on new, previously unused rubber latex gloves while handling=
=20
the meat. "The value of this caribou meat is about $28 per pound, and we=20
are afraid to eat it. Would you eat it?" he asks. Williams said appeals to=
=20
the airlines that hauled the meat brought no response. U.S. Transportation=
=20
Security Administration Alaska director Ken Jarman on Friday said he had=20
only recently heard about what happened and begun investigating. He said=20
he's almost as shocked as Williams at what happened.

"I'm a hunter and fisherman, too," Jarman said. Cutting open packaged game=
=20
meat or fish is against both TSA policy and procedure, he said. Baggage=20
inspectors on the X-ray line in Anchorage aren't even allowed to slice=20
packages open if the alarm goes off on a bag there, he said. And in Kenai,=
=20
where there is no X-ray, baggage checkers hand-inspecting bags are supposed=
=20
to pass fish and game meat =97 not cut it up. "I feel badly about this,"=20
Jarman said. "It is under investigation. We are looking into it." He also=20
offered assurances to the many anglers now beginning to ship fish south=20
from Alaska that they shouldn't have to worry about the sort of bad=20
experience endured by Williams. Williams suspects the meat-slashing took=20
place at the Kenai airport, where he first boarded a commercial flight upon=
=20
returning from a caribou hunt in the Iliamna area. He was participating in=
=20
a special winter hunt the state Board of Game established several years ago=
=20
to try to trim the growing Mulchatna caribou herd before it overtaxes its=20
range. Williams said he was glad to have the opportunity. Going to Alaska=20
to hunt and fish, he said, "is my favorite thing to do. I don't bowl. I=20
don't play golf. We usually go up in June and again in July. I went up=20
early to get a caribou."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/