Delta CEO sees another rough year for U.S. airlines

Delta CEO sees another rough year for U.S. airlines

WASHINGTON (Reuters) =97 Delta Air Lines Chief Executive Leo Mullin said=20
Monday the U.S. airline industry faces another difficult year and may not=20
see a pickup in traffic for another year or more. Speaking to reporters at=
=20
an industry conference, Mullin said the traffic picture has improved from=20
March and April troughs, but he added that it was too early to predict the=
=20
pace of a recovery. "We're in for another extremely tough year here in the=
=20
United States," he predicted. "It's mid 2004 to late 2004 before we really=
=20
begin to see some uptick in traffic." March and April were particularly=20
tough months for the airline industry as the war in Iraq and the outbreak=20
of SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, depressed air travel.=20
Atlanta-based Delta, the No. 3 U.S. carrier, posted a first-quarter net=20
loss of $466 million and has said it is looking to cut costs by $1.5=20
billion to $2 billion by 2005. Mullin, among the best paid airline=20
executives in 2002, in April said he would refuse about $9.1 million in=20
potential compensation after being criticized by Congress, unions and=20
shareholders for his pay. Airlines have been racing to reduce costs to=20
weather an industry downturn that left two big players =97 UAL's United=20
Airlines and US Airways Group =97 bankrupt. US Airways emerged from Chapter=
=20
11 protection in March. "I think the very worst is over," Mullin said. "But=
=20
I would not suggest anybody should presume that anything like a true uplift=
=20
is on the way. There is still some time left."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/