Re: SF Gate: On the wings of thrift/By catering to low-cost airlines, Oakland is stealing business from SFO

Errors in this article:
> Tuesday, June 3, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
> On the wings of thrift/By catering to low-cost airlines, Oakland is stealing
> business from SFO
> David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer

>...and SunTrips, a low-fare charter airline that focuses chiefly on leisure travel

SunTrips is not an airline of any type, it is a tour operator (http://www.suntrips.com/about.html)
It charters aircraft from North American Airlines and other airlines.  It cannot
operate as an airline because it is foreign owned.

>    Oakland has ridden Southwest's rising star, building Terminal 2 just for
> Southwest, which has filled up the space. According to Grossman, it was a
> logical decision. "We build stuff to serve demand, and we don't go out of
> our way to build monuments."
Terminal 2 was completed in 1985, 4 years prior to Southwest starting service at
OAK. T2 was occuped by PSA and AirCal. (http://www.flyoakland.com/media_backgrounder.shtml)

>    Southwest, which boards 60 percent of Oakland airport's passengers, counts
> Oakland as its fourth-largest center.
According to data on the Southwest website, OAK is ranked 7.
see http://www.iflyswa.com/about_swa/press/factsheet.html#Top%20Ten%20Airports