Re: LAX spotters and FL1

Where a carrier gates (or terminates) is given some consideration to
whether they get 'the North complex' or the South Complex. But more
importantly it's flow control and the directions from  which they are
approaching. The Santa Monica Freeway (Stadium visuals and IFR)
approaches usually force you to the north complex although your gate may
be on the south (China Southern, JAL, United asia-arrivals, Korean and
many others). Flights from the north/east such as Frontier and Euro
traffic can easily be woven into the mix to go north or south that's
where flow control comes in.  Everything you haven't seen...I and many
others have. On any given day of the week multiple factors can push
things one way or the other.
    I've seen China Airlines (PAX 744s) and Northwest with their crusty
742s specifically request to depart from the 7s (west end of the 25s)
for departure. The winds were totally prevailing from the
ocean(non-Santa Ana conditions), the traffic was flowing smoothly until
for some strange reason these guys will oddly place this request. The
tower bites their tongues, clear the airspace and allows these mavericks
to proceed. And on arrivals I've seen guys place their request for one
side over the other...and get flatly denied! It happens daily.

Greg