Commemoration to Mexicana's Boeing 727 and Its 'Golden Age'

===== How come there is no video for this one? =====

Commemoration to Mexicana's Boeing 727 and Its 'Golden Age'

    SAN ANTONIO, June 2 /PRNewswire/ -- In its continued plan of fleet
renovation, Mexicana Airlines is in the process of completing the replacement
of its Boeing 727 aircraft.  Its final journey took place on May 30, 2003, on
the Mexico City-Monterrey-Mexico City route.  In commemoration of this
aircraft and the important role it played during the onset of the jet era,
Mexicana Airlines hosted a special tribute as a farewell to this aircraft.
The Boeing 727 was without doubt the commercial airliner that led to Mexicana
Airlines' "golden age."  By the mid-1970s Mexicana had attained the largest
fleet of B727-200s outside of the United States, confirming its market
leadership for travel between the U.S. and Mexico.  It was a time where man's
limitations and modern technology had finally met.  Many Mexicana pilots were
quoted in saying that "one learns the art of flying on a B-727."
    The Boeing 727, otherwise known as the Mex-Jet, was exclusively designed
for short and medium range routes.  With a capacity of 150 passengers, the
Mex-Jet 727 allowed Mexicana to maximize its expansion of new markets.
Credited with revolutionizing air travel, it utilized the GPS system (Global
Positioning Satellite), which permitted aircrafts to fly in direct routes
without having to pass through radar points, resulting in more efficient
flight times.  The airliner also allowed for the realization of every
airline's dream: operating one equipment type for its entire service network
and ultimately transporting nearly 120 million passengers.
    Mexicana's fleet, in the seventies, consisted of 19 Boeing 727-100s and
25 Boeing 727-200s.  In the eighties, its fleet was increased to 48 planes,
making Mexicana's fleet one of the newest and most modern fleets of all time.
    "The B-727 not only led to Mexicana's Golden Age, but also made a mark in
this technological era by reaffirming Mexicana as the leader of international
travel by offering pleasant and shorter trips," said Mr. Fernando Flores,
Mexicana Airlines President and CEO.
    At the command of the Boeing 727's final flight was Captain Oscar Bribesca
who announced, "Today we celebrate the last scheduled flight of our B-727.  As
tribute to this aircraft I would like to share with you the great significance
that it brings to international aviation, to Mexicana and our country.
Therefore, we invite you to share with us in this special celebration by
extending to everyone onboard our Executive Class service."
    The passengers, who were pleasantly surprised, joined in the commemoration
of this aircraft, while representing the million of passengers that have flown
on our B-727s for the last three decades.

Roger
EWROPS