Re: Concorde Does Dulles (one last time)

The Concorde is a beautiful plane. So was the Concordski, but the Russians
stopped flying & subsidizing that after a few years. It just wasn't
economical. Neither is the Concorde. The List has gone over the
safety issues of the Concorde before and no matter what side you come down
on, it is clear that these planes are not going to last forever. Better to
pull them now. When planes crash, people die.

Beautiful objects are works of art;  they are not necessarily safe
aircraft. The Concorde belongs in museums. (I saw a Concorde and the
Braniff Flying Colors 727 on the same day at Dulles; at least Air France
and British Air are giving the Concordes better treatment than Braniff
gave Flying Colors.)

I am not sure what you are referring to about cutting load factors or
lightening cabins, (the Boeing SST would have been large enough to make
money, but the banks & the US government just didn't think it was a
good bet) but think about this: The Concorde is one plane, going
back to the 1950's in planning with a prototype flight in 1969. In that
era, Douglas launched 5 versions of the DC-9, and then several versions of
the MD-80/90, and now the MD 95 (a.k.a. Boeing 717) -- all versions of
that original DC-9, but adding new technology, improving engines, wings,
etc. Or the endless 737 family. Boeing still produces 737's because it
keeps improving them (now Boeing needs to do more, but that is the same
point).

You can't take a single airplane, no matter how good or beautiful it is,
plop it down, make only internal changes, and think that that plane is
going to last forever. Saying that is neither anti-French, nor
anti-British.

So yes, let the Concorde end its US run at Dulles. Celebrate the
achievement, mourn its end, and hope for something better.

john

--
John F. Kurtzke, C.S.C.
Department of Mathematics