United moves to shore up loan guarantee bid

United moves to shore up loan guarantee bid

WASHINGTON (Reuters) =97 United Airlines chief executive Glenn Tilton said=
=20
Saturday he was firming up the carrier's $1.8 billion federal loan=20
guarantee bid around a plan that would rely on substantial cost savings and=
=20
several strategies to boost revenue and capture business travel. Speaking=20
with reporters at an industry event, Tilton also said he would not be=20
pushed into setting a date for exiting Chapter 11 protection. He noted that=
=20
a separate low-cost carrier remains an option but a potentially less=20
competitive one, since the company was unable to secure key labor=20
agreements it felt were necessary to maximize efficiency. "We have to find=
=20
a competitive response that works for United with respect to low-cost=20
traffic, not necessarily low-cost carriers per se," Tilton said.

Nevertheless, he said United is sharply focused on winning back premium=20
customers who have deserted big airlines in droves since mid-2001. "We're=20
going to make sure we continue to focus on the core of United's passengers=
=20
=97 that is the business traveler." The company's retooled application for=
=20
loan guarantee assistance would include $2.5 billion in labor concessions=20
and related work rule savings over the next six years; close to $700=20
million a year in savings from renegotiated aircraft leases and other=20
mortgages that are close to being finalized, and a new revenue outlook,=20
Tilton said. Still to be determined as part of United's recovery plan is=20
the amount of Chapter 11 exit financing and who will supply it, as well as=
=20
the scope of a low-cost operation, and a final lineup of regional carriers.=
=20
Tilton would not identify parties that have expressed interest in providing=
=20
exit financing.

United plans to submit a business plan to creditors and lenders in the=20
early part of June and will then file a formal restructuring proposal with=
=20
the U.S. bankruptcy court in Chicago later this year =97 probably in the=20
early fall. Tilton said he is working closely with the government's Air=20
Transportation Stabilization Board to replace those aspects of the=20
company's original loan guarantee bid =97 rejected as inadequate in December=
=20
=97 with new figures. While promoting the economic merits of exiting=20
bankruptcy at the start of the spring travel season next year, Tilton would=
=20
not yield on whether United would emerge at that time. "We want to exit=20
Chapter 11 after we are sure there is precious little value left on the=20
table," he said. "My plan is to sweep the table of all the benefits=20
available to us rather than be expedient." United reported last week that=20
it sustained a $375 million net loss for April as demand weakened because=20
of the war in Iraq and the SARS virus that has hurt Asia travel. That=20
followed a $1.3 billion loss in the first quarter.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/