Scanning Slides

I know a lot of Photogs are out there that can answer my questions.

I have a lot of old family pictures on slides. I would like to transfer them to digital pictures. I would like to get them on a disk so I can sent them out to family members.

How do I get them transferred?

I have a lot (300+), what is the best that has limited costs?

What kind of scanner do I need, or is there a special kind that I need, and how much would it cost?

Is there a service that does this, and how expensive would it be?

Would it be better to buy a scanner vs. using a service?

If anyone can answer or have any other ideas, please email.

Thanks

Roger
EWROPS