Re: Providence drops extension plan for secondary runway

In a message dated 5/25/2003 7:33:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
damiross2@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< A good example is the so called EIS for logging in California/Oregon
 concerning the northern spotted owl.  The EIS said the bird could live only
 in old growth forests.  However, when was the last time anyone considered a
 K-Mart sign to be old growth?  Yes, they have found the northern spotted
 owls nesting in those signs and other non-old growth areas. >>

    I doubt they can live too well or too long in a K-Mart sign.  Besides
killing owls, cutting old-growth kills eco-systems and destroys land where all
the nutrients are in the growth and not the soil.  Considering all the times
people have given me grief over my political leanings, I am going to try to stay
out of this one.

    Equating this to riding a bike to LAX or PVD is not the best comparison.
Cars have their place, especially here in LA.  It is about using cars that
don't polute as much and are more efficient.  Since LA has such a horrible
public transit system (that wont be cured by extending the Green Line into LAX) we
have to drive.  PVD is also in an area that does not have sufficient public
trans, especially if you look at the cachement area.  If you want to make a
comparison here, don't talk about how you get to the airport, look at what the
impact is.  It would be a debacle if they extended the LAX runways out onto
Dockweiler Beach or into the Pacific Ocean, just like it is a bad thing if they
mess up a wetland eco-system with a new runway at PVD.  As far as noise goes, if
they were there before the airport, they have a gripe, if not, they should
shut the hell up