Bwee News

BWIA bosses not honest - Manning
By Gail Alexander
Guardian 0.23.03

As international creditors seized a second BWIA plane yesterday, Prime
Minister Patrick Manning made it clear Government may "wash its hands"
completely of the airline. Manning has also accused BWIA's management of
not being honest, saying the airline did not use US$5million (TT$31.25
million) released by Government on Tuesday to bail it out of debt to
creditors in a proper manner. "When we were being told US$5 million was to
be applied to a particular problem, the following day, we're being told
that of the US$5 million, US$1.5 million is going in one direction and
US$3.5 million in the next," Manning said in a post-Cabinet news briefing
at Whitehall. "I think the time has come for me to make this statement:
that those in BWIA who were reporting to the Government have not been as
forthright with Government as they ought to be. All the facts we've now
come to realise are not known to us," he added.

Government issued a letter of comfort to BWIA for US$5 million on Tuesday
after the International Leasing Finance Corporation (ILFC) took possession
of an aircraft at Miami International Airport. Even as that plane was due
back yesterday, a second aircraft was impounded by ILFC in Miami. A Cabinet
subcommittee was due to meet yesterday afternoon to discuss the seizure,
Manning told reporters. However, the Finance Ministry last night said the
meeting had been postponed to this morning to allow members to gather more
information. As a result, a special Cabinet session would be held later
today to consider the report of the subcommittee, a Finance source said
yesterday.  Earlier at the news briefing, Manning said it should not be
expected that Government will pull BWIA out again.  "It is by no means a
foregone conclusion that the Government will bail BWIA out any further, it
is by no means so. We thought we had done so with the first aircraft, only
to find that a second aircraft has been seized." Asked if he was in a mood
to possibly wash his hands of BWIA, Manning replied: "It is not to be ruled
out.... it is not to be ruled out."  On whether the airline's crises were
being strategically timed, he also said: "I cannot say the crises are not
being strategically timed."  As for what will take place, he added: "Let's
wait until the subcommittee reports and then we'll decide what takes place
afterwards."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/