Re: Running a airline..

I've been building models that handle scenario's that take nearly 25
seconds for Excel to recompute,. Now-a-days, the traveling salesman
problem, even over 100k pax a day, is a breeze for modern systems. I
used a Blaze Business Rules Engine that was essentially built for it..

..but I never tried it.

In the example of making a connection, it becomes a constraint. The
customer has to be in JFK by "X" time. Virtually everything in the
model is a constraint, and you'd simply look for the lowest cost
solution.

Right now, airlines are still running with 60's models where the
constraints of staff and crew (and scheduling) are such that they
essentially drive the modern airline schedule. Then the revenue
management guys go price the routes to try and fill the planes.

After the plane flies, the airline then counts it's pennies and
determines if it made money. More often than not ever since about 1970,
they haven't.

I was just thinking there had to be a better way.

(Back to my day job.)

Matthew