Britain bans Kenya flights

LONDON (Reuters) =97 Britain's ban on flights to and from Kenya due to an=20
"imminent" terror threat is the most urgent warning it has issued, travel=20
agents said on Friday. "I have never seen anything like this letter from=20
the Department of Transport before. I suppose it is really indicative of=20
the times we live in," a spokeswoman for the Association of British Travel=
=20
Agents (ABTA) said.
The warning, issued late on Thursday, banned all flights =97 passenger and=
=20
cargo =97 for an indefinite period. "The threat level to UK civil aviation=
=20
interests in Kenya has increased to IMMINENT," said a fax to all UK=20
airlines from the Department of Transport, stressing the key word.=20
"Accordingly...all UK airline operations to and from Kenya must BE=20
SUSPENDED," it added, again using capital letters. It did not specify the=20
threat but most media speculation revolved around surface to air missiles.=
=20
"I think the ban is pretty open ended, but the travel industry will be=20
looking at it on a daily basis," the ABTA spokeswoman said. The decision =97=
=20
taken after a suspected senior al Qaeda member was spotted in neighbouring=
=20
Somalia =97 could cripple the region's tourist industry, already suffering=
=20
from bombings in Nairobi, Mombasa and Tanzania in the past four years. The=
=20
man spotted in Somalia =97 Fazul Abdullah Mohammed =97 is suspected of=20
masterminding those attacks. A Comoros islander, he is on the United=20
States' list of most wanted suspects.

However, the ban only applies to UK operators flying to Kenya from Britain=
=20
and does not affect other airlines. Kenya Airways spokesman David Granville=
=20
said his airline was operating normally having checked with the British=20
government and raised its security. "We got clarification that the specific=
=20
nature of the threat was not against Kenya Airways," he said. "We expect to=
=20
continue operations." The ABTA spokeswoman also noted that the ban did not=
=20
affect foreign airlines flying to Kenya from other centres such as=20
Amsterdam, Cairo or Johannesburg, giving people needing to either get to or=
=20
from Kenya alternative routes.
"We will be discussing today with the foreign office the safest way to take=
=20
people home. It may well be to use the other airlines, but the foreign=20
office has said there is no immediate need to repatriate people," she said.=
=20
Some 100,000 Britons travel to the former British colony of Kenya each=20
year, lured by the country's game parks and beaches. In a statement issued=
=20
on Thursday evening, the Foreign Office advised against "non-essential,=20
including holiday travel to Kenya in light of the risk there of terrorist=20
activity. Kenya has complained that the ban is an over-reaction.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/