NYTimes.com Article: A Retro Look at Flight Attendants

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

A Retro Look at Flight Attendants

May 13, 2003
By JOE SHARKEY

A JET-SETTING book called "Coffee, Tea or Me?" got a huge
amount of attention after it was published in 1967 and
billed as a racy memoir by two saucy Eastern Airlines
stewardesses, the attractive Trudy Baker and the beautiful
Rachel Jones.

O.K., I know there are several objectionable adjectives in
that sentence. Please bear with me.

The book got rave reviews and sold over a million copies.
"Gives the lowdown on stewardesses; reads like a footnote
to `Human Sexual Response,' " burbled Look magazine.

I know Look ceased regular publication in 1971, and Eastern
Airlines went ignominiously belly-up once Frank Lorenzo got
through with it in 1991.

I also know that "Coffee, Tea or Me?" (Bartholomew House)
and its three sequels are regarded collectively as the
force that breathed life into the image of airline
stewardesses as free-spirited party girls living exotic
lives in endless pursuit of men and adventure. I know that
a generation of actual flight attendants rolled their eyes
whenever the book - published right on the cusp of the
women's movement - was mentioned.

But I didn't know until the other day that the book was
actually written by a man, Donald Bain. The real
stewardesses who were billed as the authors of "Coffee, Tea
or Me?" and its sequels were actually hired by the
publisher to travel the country promoting it on television
and in newspapers, which they did to spectacular effect.
Their real names were not Trudy Baker and Rachel Jones.

Long out of print, the book is being reissued in June by
Penguin Books. In the new edition, which features the same
1960's-vintage Playboy magazine-style cartoons that graced
the original, Trudy Baker and Rachel Jones are still listed
as the authors - though this time the words "With Donald
Bain" appear below theirs.

Oddly enough, despite the miseries and wholesale layoffs in
the airline industry, stewardesses - who became known as
flight attendants partly in the reaction to "Coffee, Tea or
Me?" - are in some sort of cultural vogue these days.
Flight attendants feature prominently in two recent movies,
"View From the Top," with Gwyneth Paltrow, and "Catch Me if
You Can," starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the celebrated
1960's criminal imposter Frank W. Abagnale, whose cons
included a brief stint posing as an airline pilot as a ploy
to provide cover to kite checks and, incidentally, date
sexy stewardesses.

Curiously enough, Mr. Abagnale, the imposter himself, is
quoted in the publisher's promotions about the reissue of
"Coffee, Tea, or Me?" He hails it as "the original tale of
the glamorous world of flying and the women who made it
so," and adds, "Oh, how I miss those days."

Mr. Bain, meanwhile, is the ghost writer of more than 80
books. Among them are the 21 volumes in the "Murder, She
Wrote" series, which became a popular television program.
In those books, he shares a byline with the main character,
Jessica Fletcher - who is, of course, fictional. He is more
than happy to account for himself.

"Sometimes you get lucky," he says in his autobiography,
"Every Midget Has an Uncle Sam Costume" (Barricade Books,
2002).

But luck had little to do with the success of the
stewardess books that started his ghostwriting career. In a
telephone interview, he explained that he got involved with
the stewardess project while working as a young public
relations executive with American Airlines and hoping to
start a writing career. He already had a lot of experience
as a business traveler, during a time when most business
travelers were male.

He said he was introduced to two Eastern Airlines
stewardesses by an editor looking for a ghostwriter for the
book the two stewardesses insisted they had in them.

"So we met, and they were very entertaining the first
half-hour," he said. "But then they basically repeated the
first half-hour's stories for the second half-hour. I
realized they didn't have enough to sustain a book, and I
was going to have to use an awful lot of my own
imagination. But I got to work, wrote the book and assigned
them fictitious names. And then they went on the road to
sell it. The two stewardesses became so popular,
interestingly enough, that one of them legally changed her
real name to the one I had given her on the book."

His own name appears in the original book only once, in the
dedication.

"I dedicated it `To Don Bain, without whom this book
wouldn't have been possible,' " he said. He also dedicated
all three sequels to himself. He wrote six subsequent books
in the same genre, purportedly the racy memoirs of nurses,
schoolteachers, secretaries and others.

"They're all dedicated to me, " he said. "I always wondered
if somebody was going to look at them all and say, `Who is
this guy who all these young women are dedicating books
to?' "

He said he never publicly discussed the ruse until he wrote
his autobiography. But over the years, the book was
evidently used it as a come-on for dates amid rumors the
real author was male. On a business flight with a film crew
a few years after the first book appeared, he said, one of
his colleagues playfully asked a flight attendant if she
had read it.

"Her eyes lit up and she said, `Not only have I read it, I
know the guy who wrote it.' " Mr. Bain said, adding: "My
ears pricked up. She said, `Yeah, he was on one of our
flights recently, and he's doing a sequel, and I'm going to
be in it. We're going to have dinner to talk about it.' And
I thought to myself, man, what have I spawned here with
this thing? I didn't say a word."

When he wrote the first book, Mr. Bain admired flight
attendants for their grit and joie de vivre in a world
where newspaper help-wanted ads still were classified under
"Men" and "Women." In the introduction to the new edition,
he writes to today's flight attendants working in a
radically different world in the skies:

"Thanks for being on the front line of air-travel security.
You have my undying gratitude for the tough job you do so
admirably, and for allowing me to have had fun writing
about an earlier era in air travel and your role in it."

Do today's flight attendants even remember the book?
"Sure," said Rene Foss, a flight attendant who wrote a
memoir, "Around the World in a Bad Mood" (Hyperion, 2002).

"Those were the good old days, I hear," Ms. Ross said
yesterday by cellphone between flights in Minneapolis.
"Frankly, I wish all I had to worry about was getting a
date or running into an old flame in an airport. Today,
you're more worried about getting fired or getting SARS."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/13/business/13ROAD.html?ex=1053833069&ei=1&en=4b9eca7cd385e2ea

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company