SF Gate: TWO CENTS/Should SFO shelve its runway expansion plans?

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/chronicle/archive/2003/05=
/09/PN80919.DTL

Friday, May 9, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
TWO CENTS/Should SFO shelve its runway expansion plans?

   Should SFO shelve its runway expansion plans?
   Erik Ressel
   Daly City
   No. SFO has a terrible on-time record. I can't count how many times I ha=
ve
been delayed due to weather. I really hate flying there. We need new
runways, or else our economy will suffer.

Trish Hooper
   Portola Valley
   The plans should be delayed. The economy has tanked and environmental
impact studies will take so long that there's no need to agonize over this
now.
   Also, San Jose's airport will probably expand, taking care of runway
problems for the foreseeable future.

Rick Tavan
   Palo Alto
   We have a simple choice: We can live with half an airport in bad weather,
or we can expand it farther into the bay. No amount of environmental study
will change this.

Robert Smithwick
   Los Altos Hills
   SFO is not just a San Francisco utility; it serves the entire Bay Area a=
nd
Northern California. Any decision that will improve air travel and service
should be considered only on that basis. To be fair, the rest of its
nominal service area should participate in the cost.

Mike Gaynes
   Moss Beach
   Build those runways. After all the airlines go bankrupt, the kids can use
them for drag racing their Acuras.

   Two Cents is a pool of Chronicle readers we tap for anecdotes and
commentary. For information on joining, e-mail us at
twocents@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle