SF Gate: Branson, Virgin CEO, flies planeload of medical supplies to Iraq

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/05/02/i=
nternational1020EDT0576.DTL

Friday, May 2, 2003 (AP)
Branson, Virgin CEO, flies planeload of medical supplies to Iraq
TINI TRAN, Associated Press Writer

   (05-02) 07:20 PDT BASRA, Iraq (AP) --
   Sir Richard Branson used one of his 747s to fly 60 tons of medical
supplies into Basra International Airport on Friday -- the first
commercial airliner to land in Iraq since the war.
   The aircraft, piloted by an Iraqi exile who works for Branson's Virgin
Atlantic Airways, was also believed to be the first such plane to land in
Basra since international sanctions were imposed on the country 12 years
ago.
   Well-known for his public appearances and commercials promoting his
airline, Branson was greeted by dozens of British soldiers as he walked
off the plane Friday morning.
   Branson said Iraq must deal with its humanitarian needs before addressing
its manifold other problems.
   The plane carried medical equipment, including incubators and
defibrillators, as well as drugs for tuberculosis, blood pressure and
heart disease, for hospitals in Basra and the southern region.
   "If there's need for more, there will be more," Branson promised.
   Once the rebuilding process gets under way, Iraq will also need commerci=
al
airline service, he said.
   "The community needs flights. Otherwise, you can't get aid, commerce ...
It's got to happen. We'd be happy to put our foot forward," he said.
Branson said he would consider commercial routes from London to Baghdad
and Basra.
   "We know there are over 100,000 Iraqi citizens abroad who want to come
back in," he said.
   British officials, who have turned the airport into a military base, say
Branson's trip sends a clear message that Basra's airport can be used for
civilian flights.
   "We've been restoring the airfield to a safe and usable standard. We hope
this will encourage other humanitarian groups to use the airport. We are
open for business," said Group Capt. Ray Lock, commander of the Royal Air
Force unit in charge of the airport.

=20
Copyright 2003 AP