Delta affiliate begins jet service in State College this summer

Delta affiliate begins jet service in State College this summer

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) ? Delta's regional carrier Comair is coming to
State College, and it's bringing the area's first regularly scheduled jet
service. Officials from Comair, a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines, announced
Thursday that they would operate three daily round-trip flights between the
University Park Airport and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International
Airport in Hebron, Ky., beginning July 22. "This is a very vibrant
community with the economic engine of Penn State University. It brings a
lot of travelers, both inbound and outbound, for this community," said Joe
Kauffmann, spokesman for Delta Connection-Comair.
Each flight will be a regional jet ? the first regular jet service into
State College ? capable of carrying up to 40 passengers.
"Faster is better, and getting to a hub a little quicker than we used to be
able to is going to be huge for us," said John Coleman, president of the
Chamber of Business and Industry of Centre County. "And we believe this is
going to be just the beginning. I think there are some other carriers that
are assessing what jet service will mean and what they may do to respond to
that."
Comair becomes the fourth airline serving State College, joining the
regional carriers for Northwest, United and US Airways. Those airlines have
occasionally offered jet service, but use turbo props for their regular
service. William A. Ward, professor of business at Susquehanna University,
agreed that Comair's presence might force the existing carriers to upgrade
their service.
"Comair is saying, 'We're going to be faster and better,' and that moves
the market up a notch," Ward said. "The others are going to have to ...
come up to speed with a better-quality aircraft, better timeliness and
service. It definitely puts pressure on the other carriers."

Comair is part of the Delta Connections regional network.
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is Delta's
second-largest hub, with more than 540 flights daily to some 120
destinations. "From the business community standpoint, having a fourth
carrier in this airport brings a variety of new destinations. That's a
tremendous resource for this community," Coleman said. And the State
College area is a valuable resource for Comair, which already serves
several Pennsylvania airports, including Harrisburg, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton
and Erie, but does not have service in north-central Pennsylvania. "I do
think that, given the overall market over there, particularly the
university market and the developing light-manufacturing and white collar
market over there, it's probably going to be very profitable for them,"
Ward said. "I think they'll be able to attract a lot of college students,
who wouldn't go all the way to Harrisburg to get into the Delta feeder system."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/