Denver Airport warns security wait times could double because of screener cuts

Denver Airport warns security wait times could double because of screener cuts

DENVER (AP) ? John Malinowski said he feels the cuts in the number of
passenger and baggage screeners announced this week for airports nationwide
won't affect safety, just travelers' patience. "It will just cause an
inconvenience," Malinowski said as he waited for a family member to arrive
at Denver International Airport Thursday. "They'll still have to check
every passenger and every item." Denver and Colorado Springs Municipal
Airport will lose 233 passenger and baggage screeners in one of the first
cutbacks in airport security since the Sept. 11 attacks, the Transportation
Security Administration announced. The cuts could double the time
passengers must wait in security lines at Denver to about 10 minutes.
Denver International Airport will cut 172 of its 1,018 screeners while
Colorado Springs Municipal Airport will lose up to 61 of its 153 screeners
under the plans. The cuts come as the TSA, created after the 2001 terrorist
attacks to improve airport safety, is eliminating 6,000 screeners across
the country amid complaints of overstaffing by Congress. The cuts are the
first at Denver's airport since Sept. 11.

U.S. airports had 19,000 screeners at the time of the terrorist attacks,
compared with the 55,600 on staff as of March 31. Stephen McHale, TSA's
deputy administrator in Washington, D.C., said there wasn't enough time to
determine staffing levels right after the attacks. "We had to get people
out here. We had to get people into the airports," he said.
The cuts across the country will save $32 million this year and $288
million next year. Most of the cuts will be through attrition, which is
estimated at 700 jobs a month nationwide. Some workers might be laid off
based on performance, not seniority, which eased the worries of some
screeners. "If you're doing your job and you're proficient, you'll be
fine," said Kevin Harris, a former semiconductor manufacturing supervisor
who was laid off last year and became a screener in November.
Administration officials hope to complete the downsizing by Sept. 30. U.S.
Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., questioned the wisdom of cutting the number
screeners.

"Just as the TSA appears to feel that it overreacted by hiring too many
airport security screeners when the agency was created, I am concerned that
it may be overreacting again by reducing its staff just as we enter the
peak travel season," she said. "The security of air travel is too important
to be a victim of poor budget planning." McHale said other changes besides
more screeners put in place after the attacks work together to ensure
secure flights. Those changes include the reinforcement of cockpit doors,
the addition of bomb detection machines and the presence of air marshals.
"Taken together, we believe we can provide the highest level of security,"
he said. Meanwhile, the number of screeners at some of Colorado's smaller
airports will increase. The screening force at Eagle County, near Vail,
will more than double from 11 to 28, while at Aspen Pitkin County airport
the number will jump from 14 to 34. Other airports gaining screeners
include Pueblo Memorial Airport, Montrose County Airport and the Yampa
Valley Regional Airport in Hayden.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/