Northwest CEO says no special deals for executives

Northwest CEO says no special deals for executives

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? The chief executive of Northwest Airlines told employees
that top managers have not received special perks in an attempt to reassure
them as they consider a proposed package of annual cuts totaling $950
million. "There aren't any compensation surprises in store for anyone,"
Richard Anderson said Wednesday in a recorded message to employees that
appeared to be in response to recent events at American Airlines. "We do
not have funded trusts for management pension plans or any cash retention
plans for the executive officers of the company." Anderson made no direct
reference to American in his message, but the connection was obvious.
Workers at American nearly refused to accept $1.8 billion in annual cuts
after finding out that the company had approved bankruptcy-proof pensions
and huge bonuses to executives. The ill-timed disclosure at American two
weeks ago and the mistrust it created between workers and management
eventually led to the resignation of chief executive Donald Carty. Anderson
said Northwest has "acted responsibly."

Northwest President Doug Steenland and Anderson, who have each worked at
Northwest about a dozen years, are covered by the Supplemental Executive
Retirement Plan and a cash-balance pension program for salaried employees,
a Northwest spokesman said. Northwest has presented labor cost-cutting
plans to all seven unions, and Anderson notified salaried employees that
their pay and benefits will be cut 5 percent to 15 percent. "We will
absolutely share in the significant cost reductions that we have to take,"
he said. "And I will personally be certain that we do so." Three union
representatives sit on Northwest's board of directors, so labor has seats
at the table when executive compensation and pensions are discussed. The
unions have had board representation since labor groups agreed to
concessions 10 years ago. Those union seats are held by Ray Benning of the
Teamsters, Mike Ristow of the Air Line Pilots Association and George
Kourpias of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/