SF Gate: Former TWA workers say goodbye

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2003/04/28/f=
inancial0040EDT0007.DTL

Monday, April 28, 2003 (AP)
Former TWA workers say goodbye
CHERYL WITTENAUER, Associated Press Writer

   (04-28) 21:40 PDT ST. LOUIS (AP) --
   They are about to lose their jobs. Many already have. But at a furlough
party, the American Airlines employees -- 40- and 50-something-year-old
flight attendants, ground workers, mechanics, pilots and ticket agents --
reveled on the dance floor.
   As the DJ played Gloria Gaynor's 1970s disco hit, "I Will Survive," the
dancers mouthed the lyrics in agreement. All former employees of
thrice-bankrupt TWA, they understand the airline industry's turbulence.
   "We know we're gone, we're being furloughed," said flight attendant Susan
Lantz, a 33-year veteran. "But we're in court. We won't stop the fight."
   The former Trans World Airlines flight attendants are suing their union
and American Airlines over lost seniority rights.
   When American bought St. Louis-based TWA in April 2001, the Texas-based
company pledged to treat former TWA employees equitably. It left to the
unions the job of integrating TWA's pilots and flight attendants into
American's fold.
   TWA flight attendants and most of its pilots wound up losing the years of
seniority they had accumulated at the airline last based in St. Louis.
Now, in American's cost-cutting plan to shed thousands of jobs to avoid
bankruptcy, former TWA flight attendants and pilots with decades of
experience are being laid off.
   Targeted are 2,500 pilot jobs and about 2,000 flight-attendant positions.
As many as 600 pilots who work out of St. Louis could be affected. All of
American's roughly 1,800 St. Louis-based flight attendants will be
furloughed.
   The former TWA employees either live in St. Louis or commute from other
cities to work at American's St. Louis hub. Many who bought homes here
after the merger are putting them on the market and heading to greener
pastures.
   Furloughed flight attendant Mark Sheppard, 47, who sold his St. Louis
home, said he is headed for culinary classes in Portland, Ore.
   Flight attendant Colleen Hawk, who organized Saturday's party, was
furloughed Jan. 30. Her husband, pilot Gary Hawk, has been downgraded from
captain to co-pilot and soon could be released. Their only immediate
strategy, Colleen Hawk said, is to pray.
   The idea for the party came when Holiday Inn, where many St. Louis-based
American workers who live elsewhere stay when they're in town, offered the
ballroom for free. Hawk planned for 150; about 500 came.
   The old friends, who had flown to Tel Aviv and London and Milan together
when TWA flew to those cities, may not see each other again.
   "This party embodies the spirit of TWA," Hawk said. "We're all here
together. We are a family."
   Carlos Machado, 59, said he still wears the tie clip that bears the TWA
name even when working American flights. He worked all but two of his 29
1/2 flight years with TWA, earning two awards of excellence for managing
service on the Los Angeles to London route.
   "It's the profession I love," he said. "Unfortunately it's going to stop
right here."

On the Net:
   AMR: www.amrcorp.com
   Allied Pilots Association, www.alliedpilots.org