SF Gate: Supervisors to ground SFO's costly bay-fill runway plan

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2003/04/28/BA74961.DTL

Monday, April 28, 2003 (SF Chronicle)
Supervisors to ground SFO's costly bay-fill runway plan
Phillip Matier, Andrew Ross

   After spending $74 million on studies and consultants, San Francisco
International Airport's plans for building those controversial runways
appear to have run out of gas.
   And from the looks of things -- money as well.
   In fact, airport brass say that before the week is out, they'll be forced
to transfer or lay off the Airfield Management Bureau's eight remaining
employees, lock the door and turn off the lights.
   As you may recall, the runways -- which were the high-priority brainchild
of Mayor Willie Brown -- set off a tug-of-war between environmentalists,
who were opposed to filling in the bay, and the area's business community,
which was tired of those lengthy flight delays whenever the weather got
bad.
   As usual, Brown threw everything he had at the project -- hiring
researchers, staffers and high-priced lobbyists to conduct the
environmental studies and win money from Washington.
   Well, now the Board of Supervisors -- which has long opposed both the pl=
an
for two new runways and the mayor's tactics -- says times have changed.
   Citing the slump in airport traffic and the pending layoffs of hundreds =
of
airport workers, the supervisors have all but decided not to release any
of the $5 million needed to help finish up the environmental studies.
   Supervisor (and mayoral nemesis) Aaron Peskin, who has led the charge
against the runaway runway spending, says the board won't release any more
money until the budget analyst completes a management audit showing how
the Airfield Management Bureau has spent -- or misspent -- its money.
   As Peskin sees it, the "fiscal realities of the airport" dictate that it=
's
time to hit the brakes on the runway expansion, at least for now. And if
that's the case, he says, why bother spending money on studies that could
be out of date if the runway idea ever comes back to life?
   The crew out at the airport can see the writing on the wall as well as
anyone. They know that the idea of adding new runways in these economic
times has about as much chance of happening as a second Golden Gate
Bridge.
   Still, they're giving it their best shot.
   "This is not about whether or not to build the runways," said airport
spokeswoman Kandace Bender. "This is about completing the environmental
studies, which are going to provide an incredible library of science about
the health of the bay.
   "The most responsible thing to do is to complete the studies . . . so th=
at
the $70 million-plus that has been spent isn't wasted."
   NOT TO BE OUTSPUN: He may be best known for his Zen-like statements, but
when it comes to spin, Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown can still roll with the
best of them.
   Take the $100 million bailout of his city's school district, for example.
   It's the biggest school system bailout in state history -- and one that
would have even a master of self-assurance like San Francisco Mayor Willie
Brown red-faced with embarrassment.
   But not Jerry. He's acting like he won the lottery.
   "It's a great opportunity to get moving again," Brown said from his City
Hall office.
   "Not only do we get a new superintendent, we get $100 million, too! And
believe me, $100 million in times like these is no small deal."
   Hey, Mr. Mayor -- with all due respect, this is a bailout. Hardly
something to be singing about.
   "I like to think of it more as a passing of the baton from the current
superintendent to a new one," Brown said. "Now Oakland has a great
opportunity to grab a great leader. . . . Everyone should be happy."
   This, you have to understand, is from a mayor who made fixing Oakland's
schools one of his top priorities. When it didn't happen fast enough, he
got the voters to give him three appointments to the school board.
   But, like they say, every day is a new one -- and on this day Brown seem=
ed
more interested in lining up a state-backed superintendent to replace
Dennis Chaconas.
   And trust us, he isn't missing a beat.
   Among those being considered: former Los Angeles Times Publisher Kathryn
Downing and former Edison Schools officer Deborah McGriff, who also worked
with the Detroit school system.
   Meanwhile, state Sen. Don Perata, D-Oakland, who has been carrying the
bailout -- and getting kicked at just about every turn -- could only shake
his head at the mayor's comments.
   "That's Jerry," he said. "Whatta guy."
   BACK IN BLUE: San Francisco police Lt. Ed Cota and Sgt. John Syme -- two
of the rank-and-file cops caught up in the Fajitagate scandal -- returned
to their respective station houses the other day, and both were greeted
with standing ovations and envelopes stuffed with cash to cover the pay
they lost while under suspension.
   Those suspensions came while they were fighting off indictments accusing
them of conspiring to obstruct justice.
   "It was pretty overwhelming," Cota said of the welcome back he got at
Northern Station.
   "I'd say I was relieved to have the whole thing over, but the truth is we
never did anything wrong," Cota said.
   By the way, acting Chief Alex Fagan -- who was also briefly on the
indicted list -- has been busy as well. He was spotted last week at the
Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill, mixing it up at the big women's fund-raiser
for Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif.
   And at least one police commissioner -- Victor Makras -- told us that
despite the scandal, Fagan should be made permanent chief at the earliest
opportunity.
   But first, of course, the current chief would have to leave. That would =
be
Earl Sanders, who went out on disability while he was under indictment.
   Sanders hasn't officially said what he plans to do, and has even refused
to talk to Police Commission members about his plans.
   "I don't want to undermine or undercut the process," Makras said, "But at
the same time, we don't have a chief communicating, and we have a guy
(Fagan) who's doing a great job.
   "He's a cop's cop, and a people's cop -- and I hope to be able to cast my
vote to make him chief of police of San Francisco."

   Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross appear Sundays,
Mondays and Wednesdays. They can also be heard on KGO Radio on Mondays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. Phil Matier can be seen regularly on KRON-TV.
Got a tip? Call them at (415) 777-8815 or drop them an e-mail at
matierandross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Copyright 2003 SF Chronicle