NYTimes.com Article: Travelers Seem Calm as Airlines Squirm

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.
http://www.starbucks.com/default.asp?ci=1015

Travelers Seem Calm as Airlines Squirm

April 26, 2003
By DAVID BARBOZA

CHICAGO, April 25 - There were few tears or traumatized
passengers at O'Hare International Airport this afternoon.

Travelers who have lived through the bankruptcy filing by
United Airlines have come to believe that if American
Airlines is eventually forced into bankruptcy protection -
something it avoided yet again today - everything will work
out.

"I don't think about it," said Ira Nadel, who just returned
to Chicago from a business trip to Salt Lake City on
United. "Somehow, things will work out. I can't imagine two
of the biggest airlines going under."

His wife, Audrey, however, had some of her own concerns.
"What's this going to mean for our frequent-flier miles? We
want our miles."

Her sister, Leslie Silverman, fresh from an American flight
from Hartford, and busy pulling bags together at Carousel
10, cut in.

"Is that your biggest concern? This is our economy," she
said to her sister. "We're not going to have an airline to
fly."

But most travelers here at O'Hare - one of the world's
busiest airports and a major hub for American and United -
seemed calm, disinterested, even blasé about the volatile
situation at American.

Gerry McLaughlin, 60, a human resources worker in Chicago
who was searching for some large, black suitcases in the
American terminal, considered the possibility of a
bankruptcy filing. "They're not the first airline to go
into bankruptcy and they won't be the last."

"They'll go into bankruptcy and eventually they'll come
out," he added. "It's the way the system is supposed to
work."

American, of course, did not file for bankruptcy protection
today. But some of the airline's employees suggested that
morale had plummeted.

You could not sense that at O'Hare, where the check-in
counters were being run by smiling clerks. But for many of
American's workers around the country, there was a sense
that time was running out for their flight careers.

"I'm going to fly as many hours as I can," said Karla
Johnson, who has worked as an American flight attendant for
14 years. "This is my only income. Right now, I fly between
115, 120 hours in a 30-day time period. I'm allowed to fly
up to 160 hours. I'll fly as much as possible."

Indeed, this was a day when many of American's flight
attendants - who had held out until the last moment on
negotiating a contract - were expressing outrage at
management.

They did not have kind words for Donald J. Carty, who
resigned Thursday night as chairman and chief executive at
American and its parent, AMR.

"He should have resigned because how can we trust him,"
said Tania Wagner, an American flight attendant who is
based in Miami. "He was running the company, and we didn't
know what he was doing. We cut so many things to keep the
company from going bankrupt when behind the curtain he was
keeping the money."

Ms. Wagner said she expected that she might lose her job.
And so might many of her colleagues.

"I think a bunch of us are going to be fired, but we don't
know," she said.

For most American's employees, the contract talks had come
down to something very elemental: jobs, careers and making
a decent wage.

Yet travelers - still coping with the aftermath of Sept.
11, long security checks, a war in Iraq, a mysterious
illness in foreign lands, constant flight delays and the
everyday complications like finding children's suitcases -
it really does not feel as if the life of one of the
world's biggest airlines is at stake.

Last year, more than 66 million passengers traveled through
O'Hare. There were over 2,000 flights a day, about 80
percent of them on American Airlines or United, which is
based here and is a unit of UAL. No one expects the big
airlines to collapse or pull out.

"I'm not worried at all," said Sister Maria Catherine, a
Roman Catholic nun who arrived in Chicago this afternoon
with Sister Mary Beata to attend a conference. "We're
worried for the people; we don't want them to lose their
jobs. But we think everything will be fine."

Many passengers, though, said that what was happening to
American Airlines was partly a result of a weak economy and
partly a result of corporate greed.

"What those guys were doing was an outrage," said Henry
Ruiz, 42, who had traveled to Chicago from McAllen, Tex.
"The executives have lost all credibility, especially
Carty."

Steven J. Schulman, 51, a professor of economics at
Colorado State University, looked up from a book he was
reading while seated in the American terminal at O'Hare to
express similar feelings.

"This is indicative of a moral collapse," he said. "The
powerful people think everything is theirs for the taking.
How come my son understands the difference between right
and wrong and they don't?" He was not finished. "They take
things because they can. It's wrong in the fourth grade and
it's wrong now."

There are, of course, those who worry about whether
American will stop flying here or there, or whether they'll
lose out on certain comforts, like Christine Lance, 28, who
said she liked the seat room American flights offered.

Then there was the competition, the men and women who
worked at other airlines.

A 31-year-old US Airways pilot named Vincent, who declined
to give his last name, said he was just happy to have a
job.

"I've got friends working at Home Depot because they've
lost their jobs," he said. "They're pilots, but they aren't
pilots because they're not working anymore."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/26/business/26REAC.html?ex=1052384232&ei=1&en=219ecd9f4f78b6bb

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company