Hawaiian Airlines lost $58.3 million in 2002

Hawaiian Airlines lost $58.3 million in 2002

HONOLULU (AP) =97 The parent company of Hawaiian Airlines on Tuesday=
 reported=20
a loss of $58.2 million for 2002.
The announcement comes just weeks after the Honolulu-based airline filed=20
for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Hawaiian Holdings Inc., which=20
reported a net income of $5.1 million in 2001, was given a 15-day extension=
=20
of the March 31 deadline for filing its annual report with the Securities=20
and Exchange Commission. "Our disappointing results for 2002 reflect the=20
ongoing economic crisis in our industry," said John W. Adams, Hawaiian's=20
chairman and chief executive officer. Meanwhile, U.S. bankruptcy Judge=20
Robert Faris on Tuesday said allegations of financial misconduct at=20
Hawaiian are "serious" and said he will consider replacing Adams with a=20
trustee during the bankruptcy proceedings. Boeing Capital, Hawaiian's main=
=20
lessor, filed a motion last month in U.S. Bankruptcy Court to replace the=20
carrier's "self-dealing" management, mainly Adams. Boeing has a stake in 16=
=20
of Hawaiian's planes, more than half of the airline's fleet. A hearing on=20
the issue is scheduled for May 8.
Hawaiian Airlines filed for Chapter 11 reorganization on March 21, saying=20
it wanted the court's help in renegotiating leases with Boeing and other=20
aircraft suppliers.

"Despite our best efforts and extensive negotiations, we were unable to=20
reach consensual agreements with certain of our aircraft lessors on=20
reducing our lease rates to acceptable levels," Adams said. Boeing=20
questioned the assertion that Hawaiian needed concessions from lessors when=
=20
the airline had paid stockholders $25 million in a share buyback plan nine=
=20
months earlier. Adams is a majority shareholder of the airline. In June=20
2001, the airline bought back 5.88 million shares from stockholders at=20
$4.25 per share, or 31 percent more than the price at which shares were=20
trading when the buyback was announced. Hawaiian also reported a net loss=20
of $15.1 million for the fourth quarter, which ended Dec. 31, 2002,=20
compared with a net loss of $10.7 million, in the same year-earlier period.=
=20
Operating revenues totaled $632 million for last year, compared with $611.6=
=20
million in 2001. Hawaiian reported cash and cash equivalents of $95.1=20
million at the end of 2002, including $23.2 million of restricted cash. As=
=20
of March 31, the company reported cash at $63 million with $34 million in=20
restricted cash. The decline in liquidity was due to several factors,=20
including seasonal fluctuations, an increase in escrow deposit requirements=
=20
by Hawaiian's credit card processors and other expenses relating to the=20
Chapter 11 filing. Trading of Hawaiian shares on the American Stock=20
Exchange and Pacific Exchange, has been halted at $1.50 since the company=20
filed for bankruptcy reorganization. Company officials said they expect=20
trading to resume Wednesday.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/