NYTimes.com Article: No Peace Bounce for Airlines

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@xxxxxxxxx

No Peace Bounce for Airlines

April 11, 2003
By MICHELINE MAYNARD

The nation's airlines, which blamed the war in Iraq for a
plunge in business that forced the layoffs of more than
10,000 employees and the elimination of dozens of flights,
are not expecting the postwar era to be much brighter.

The weak economy, continued fears over terrorism and the
complicating factor of the mysterious illness SARS, or
severe acute respiratory syndrome, are likely to offset any
increase in travel that could be expected once it is clear
that the conflict in Iraq has subsided, industry officials
and analysts said yesterday.

"We are not planning or counting on any bounce back," said
Douglas A. Hacker, executive vice president of United
Airlines, a unit of the UAL Corporation and the No. 2
carrier behind American Airlines.

E. Han Kim, professor of finance at the University of
Michigan Business School, explained the predicament for
airlines. "Everything being equal, I would say, yes, the
airlines would come back, but everything is not equal," he
said. "SARS is hurting some airlines just as much as the
war and, unfortunately, you can't bomb SARS."

Indeed, Mr. Hacker said in an interview yesterday that
SARS, which had its first outbreaks in Asia and is highly
contagious, was having the same effect on United's Pacific
routes as the war was having on its traffic across the
Atlantic. "What it looks like is kind of a continuation of
war" on Pacific travel, Mr. Hacker said. The complexities
involving overseas travel have made it difficult for any
airline to plan for the next few months, United included,
he added.

"In this kind of environment, you can't have a forecast,"
Mr. Hacker said. "Our crystal ball remains pretty cloudy.
We're kind of getting used to that. Our main theme is,
`Let's work against a pretty ugly scenario.' "

Even under more normal conditions, this time of year has
typically been one of the most sluggish travel periods.
While traffic usually increases slightly during the weeks
around Easter and Passover, it is generally slow until the
middle of May, when colleges end classes for the year and
family vacations begin.

This year, officials at airlines, rental car companies and
other travel businesses say advance reservations for later
in the spring and summer are relatively weak. Travelers
have delayed booking their trips even longer than usual.
So, even with the war appearing to be close to conclusion,
airlines can expect that travel will be soft for the next
six weeks, and possibly longer, said Sandy Rederer, an
aviation consultant in Arlington, Va.

"My guess is that we remain semi-mired for some time," Mr.
Rederer said. "There will be a lag before people get over
the deferral of travel that was delayed before the war."

John Heimlich, an economist with the Air Transport
Association, a trade group, agreed that the short-term
outlook was gloomy. Fare discounts can be expected to draw
some passengers back, he said, but at a cost. "I think what
we'll see in the next several weeks is that volumes will
start to improve at much lower fares per mile."

In reality, the last thing the industry would want,
politically, would be a strong rebound in travel. Airlines
have been lobbying for a $3 billion relief package that
would include assistance for more than 10,000 workers who
have been furloughed since the start of the war, on top of
100,000 who have lost their jobs since the Sept. 11, 2001,
attacks. The House and Senate have passed slightly
different measures that have been folded into legislation
financing the war; that legislation is now being considered
by a conference committee of the two bodies.

The White House, however, has called the package too
generous, and the potential bailout has prompted debate
over whether the war was to blame for the airlines'
problems or whether they stem from business decisions.

"That's the business they're in, and war is part of the
risk," said Kevin Mitchell, president of the Business
Travel Coalition, which represents corporate travel
departments and business travelers.

Mr. Mitchell argued in testimony before Congress that the
airlines did not warrant help unless they took steps to
limit executives' salaries and imposed other streamlining
measures. Lately, a number of airline executives have taken
salary reductions, after cutting the pay of employees in
the wake of the war.

On Wednesday, the air transport association released
figures showing that the war had caused the steepest drops
in travel this year, though it said that SARS was having an
effect as well.

For the week ended Sunday, the group cited a year-over-year
17.4 percent decline in overall travel, including domestic
and international routes. Domestic travel fell 14 percent
during the week, while the Asia-Pacific region was off more
than 25 percent. During the week of March 23, there was a
10 percent decline for overall travel.

Mr. Heimlich said the declines were even more significant
given that traffic had risen in the first couple of months
of 2003, although from mediocre levels in 2002.

Robert Mann Jr., an aviation consultant based in Port
Washington, N.Y., said SARS was having a substantial
effect. "We've seen disruptions of service that even exceed
the reduction in schedules due to the economy and the
conflict in the Middle East," he said.

Mr. Mann said he was particularly concerned about the
effect of the respiratory illness on United, which filed
for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December, well before the war
began, and provides service to Asia. The other major United
States carrier to do so is Northwest Airlines.

He and other analysts have expressed concern that the drop
in travel could be another obstacle in United's bankruptcy
revamping. "For United, it's, `Gosh what else? Will it be
the locusts next?' " Mr. Mann said.

That is overstating United's predicament, Mr. Hacker said.
"We are more optimistic about the more rapid return of
domestic bookings and revenue than we are internationally,"
he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/11/business/11AIR.html?ex=1051068303&ei=1&en=43087c05fc4f878f

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company