Algorithms Key to Cheap Air Fare

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58353,00.html

A CS professor at the University of Washington has done some data mining on
airline ticket prices and come up with some algorithms for predicting
fluctuations in airline fares.

A San Francisco travel agent quoted in the article to show industry
skepticism makes the worst possible analogy:
"Trying to predict the price of airline tickets is like trying to predict
the weather in San Francisco -- you never know what it will be. It depends
on so many factors," said Nancy Cathcart, travel agent with Buenaventura
Travel, based in San Francisco.
Excuse me? As a former longtime SF Bay Area resident, their weather is the
easiest to predict in the country! You look at Pacific weather satellite
images. If you see a storm coming, it's going to rain. If you don't, it'll
be clear. There's some variation in how much it'll rain or whether a storm
will pass to the north or the south, but SF weather is easy compared to
East Coast or Midwest weather.

Put another way, if the professor's program can predict fare fluctuations
as well as a SF resident can predict the weather, I'd be very interested in
it. :-)

Just a thought,
Nick