[no subject]

AUTHORITY GRANTED:
US Airways announced today that it has received government approval to begin
seasonal service between Ft. Lauderdale and Bermuda. The service will begin
on
June 14 and the airline will use the Airbus A319. The service will continue
through August 30, 2003.

NEWS FROM THE NTSB:
The NTSB released their 9th update on its investigation into the crash of
American Airlines flight 587, an Airbus A300-600 in Bell Harbor, New York on
November 12, 2001. The brief report can be found at:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2003/030319.htm

NEWS FROM THE DOT:
The Department of Transportation has assessed a civil penalty of $550,000.
against US Airways for violating federal regulations requiring wheelchair
service for passengers with disabilities. The DOT's settlement order will
allow
US Airways to use $400,000 of the penalty to improve its service for
disabled
passengers (whatever the heck that means) and the balance, $150,000 will be
treated as an unsecured claim.

Also, the DOT has given final approval to the proposed alliance between
Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines. In a
statement,
the three airlines said, "While Continental, Delta and Northwest will
continue
to operate independently and compete vigorously with each other for
customers,
the alliance will enable each carrier to access a greater number of
customers
and, in this weak economic environment, will preserve service to small
communities and those communities' access to broad route networks."

IN A SEAT BACK POCKET NEAR YOU:
The April issue of US Airways' in-flight magazine, Attaché, is also available
online at:
www.attachemag.com

NOT YOUR COMMON COLD:
Man, this SARS dilemma is something else, isn't it? SCARS is Severe Acute
Respiratory Syndrome and I've got two websites for you to do some homework:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/sars/

http://www.who.int/csr/sars/en/

AIR TRAVEL CONSUMER REPORT:
The Department of Transportation has recently released their ATCR reflecting
statistics for the month of February, 2003. The DOT has also added several
airlines to the list, which now totals 17. I originally thought about
keeping
the list as it had been for my readers because, quite simply, nobody really
cares about the on-time percentage for Skywest Airlines or Express Jet,
whoever
they are.

However, I'll reserve judgment and see how my readers feel about the list.
Meanwhile, for this newsletter, I'll report the entire list, as it is
reported
in the DOT's ATCR.

ON-TIME for FEBRUARY 2003:
1- Skywest Airlines ..... 85.4%
2- United Airlines ..... 84.3
3- Southwest Airlines ..... 80.1
4- American Airlines ..... 79.6
5- Alaska Airlines ..... 78.0
6- Northwest Airlines ..... 78.0
7- Continental Airlines ..... 77.8
8- Delta Air Lines ..... 77.3
9- AirTran Airways ..... 73.0
10- ExpressJet Airlines ..... 72.7
11- America West Airlines ..... 72.2
12- American Eagle Airlines ..... 71.6
13- JetBlue Airways ..... 71.5
14- US Airways .....71.4
15- ATA Airlines ..... 70.1
16- Atlantic Southeast Airlines ..... 69.3
17- Atlantic Coast Airlines ..... 56.9 (I'd keep that number under my hat)

US AIRWAYS ON-TIME PERCENTAGE FOR THEIR HUBS:
1- PIT ..... 79.2%
2- CLT ..... 74.4
3- PHL ..... 69.5

OVERALL NUMBER AND PERCENTAGE OF FLIGHT CANCELLATIONS BY CARRIER:
(worst to best)
17- Atlantic Coast cancelled 2,447 flights, representing 10.6% of their
operations.
16- American Eagle cancelled 2,500 flights, representing 7.6% of their
operations.
15- US Airways cancelled 1,940 flights, representing 6.0% of their
operations.
14- Atlantic Southeast cancelled 1,106 flights, representing 5.1% of their
operations.
13- ExpressJet cancelled 1,074 flights, representing 4.6% of their
operations.
12- American cancelled 2,529 flights, representing 4.3% of their operations.
11- AirTran cancelled 430 flights, representing 4.0% of their operations.
10- Alaska cancelled 421 flights, representing 3.7% of their operations.
9- JetBlue cancelled 174 flights, representing 3.6% of their operations.
8- ATA cancelled 171 flights, representing 3.5% of their operations.
7- Delta cancelled 1,731 flights, representing 3.3% of their operations.
6- Continental cancelled 727 flights, representing 3.1% of their
operations.
5- Northwest cancelled 1,193 flights, representing 3.0% of their
operations.
4- America West cancelled 382 flights, representing 2.6% of their
operations.
3- Southwest cancelled 1,676 flights, representing 2.3% of their
operations.
2- United cancelled 934 flights, representing 2.2% of their operations.
1- Skywest cancelled 541 flights, representing 1.6% of their operations.

MISHANDLED BAGGAGE REPORTS:
(best to worst, per 1,000 passengers)
1- Alaska Airlines ..... 2.01
2- Continental Airlines ..... 3.38
3- AirTran Airways ..... 3.52
4- Southwest Airlines ..... 3.73
5- JetBlue Airways ..... 3.89
6- US Airways ..... 4.09
7- Northwest Airlines ..... 4.19
8- America West Airlines ..... 4.31
9- Delta Air Lines ..... 4.56
10- United Airlines ..... 4.80
11- ExpressJet Airlines ..... 4.82
12- American Airlines ..... 4.99
13- ATA Airlines ..... 5.04
14- Skywest Airlines ..... 9.43
15- Atlantic Coast Airlines ..... 11.17
16- American Eagle Airlines ..... 14.21
17- Atlantic Southeast Airlines ..... 18.34

CONSUMER COMPLAINTS:
(best to worst - per 100,000 enplanements)
1- ExpressJet Airlines ..... 0.00
2- JetBlue Airways ..... 0.00
3- Atlantic Coast Airlines ..... 0.17
4- Southwest Airlines ..... 0.21
5- Skywest Airlines ..... 0.24
6- American Eagle Airlines ..... 0.62
7- United Airlines ..... 0.64
8- American Airlines ..... 0.72
9- Atlantic Southeast Airlines ..... 0.76
10- Alaska Airlines ..... 0.78
11- AirTran Airways ..... 0.79
12- US Airways ..... 0.84
13- Delta Air Lines ..... 0.86
14- ATA Airlines ..... 0.88
15- Continental Airlines ..... 0.99
16- Northwest Airlines ..... 1.10
17- America West Airlines ..... 1.25

SERVING TIME:
The Massachusetts man who slapped a US Airways flight attendant last year
has
been sentenced to a year in prison by a federal Judge.

William W. Thrasher, 27, an engineer from Boston, pleaded guilty to a
federal
charge of interfering with a flight attendant and was sentenced to one year
in
prison and ordered to pay restitution totaling $19,413 to cover the medical
costs incurred by the flight attendant he hit. The Judge could have
sentenced
Mr. Thrasher to 27 months in prison but decided not to since Mr. Thrasher
has
been participating in an alcohol-treatment program.

NOT TOO HAPPY:
The executives over in Allegheny County (PA), that oversee the Pittsburgh
International Airport, are not too pleased with Dave Siegel and Company.
Read
the article by clicking on:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/03091/170541.stm

THE US AIRWAYS FLEET:
Airbus A330 -- 9 owned, 0 leased
Boeing 767 -- 7 owned, 4 leased
Boeing 757 -- 21 owned, 11 leased
Airbus A321 -- 20 owned, 8 leased
Airbus A320 -- 11 owned, 13 leased
Boeing 737-400 -- 18 owned, 25 leased
Boeing 737-300 -- 11 owned, 56 leased
Airbus A319 -- 22 owned, 44 leased

Average age of all aircraft is 8.9 years
owned 119
leased 161
total: 280 aircraft

This month, if they haven't already done so, US Airways is returning (1)
Boeing
767, (1) Boeing 757 and (1) Boeing 737-400 and will add (2) Boeing 737-400s
maintain a minimum fleet count of 279. (we'll see how long that 279 count
lasts).

DID YOU KNOW?
... that US Airways has officially cancelled their previous common stock and
the
details are now being hammered out regarding the issuance of the new stock.
The
last time that US Airways paid dividends on its common stock was in 1990.
Source: US Airways 10-K annual report.

DILEMMA:
It seems that the Association of Flight Attendants is confused about the new
sick policy that the company will be implementing by recently stating, "It
is
baffling to AFA that the company is planning to implement something which we
do
not believe they actually understand themselves. AFA will file an MEC
grievance
on this issue and it will have to be resolved in arbitration."

Let me tell you what is really "baffling" here: it is baffling that
thousands
of flight attendants at US Airways are continuing to pay monthly union dues
to a
union that is absolutely powerless. AFA leaders talk tough but they're
really
like dogs with no teeth ... nobody's afraid of the bite. At some point, I
suspect that my fellow US Airways flight attendants will realize that they'd
be
better off not being represented by this union, like the Delta flight
attendants, and realize that AFA has been neutered ... or spayed, depending
on
your point of view by Dr. Siegel, DVM.

At least one AFA representative, the resident idiot in Pittsburgh, spends
most
of her time in chat rooms on an aviation website that is rampant with rumors
and
innuendo, according to a company source. It's time for a change and
certainly
time to decertify AFA. If the company is going to get what they have to
get,
one way or another, and the union is powerless to stop them, what good is
the
union?

STRESS BUSTER:
Spring is upon us and here's a little stress buster for you:
http://www.fhmus.com/images/reporter/slacker/miniputt.swf