Re: DEN as a hub

At 01:43 PM 4/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> > Is there any hope for DEN if UA goes out of business?
> >
>Ya gotta ask yourself....do we really need Denver?  Lousy weather and a bunch
>of skiiers.....-]
>
>Dennis
We who? At least one major has hubbed at Denver since the rise of the hub
and spoke networks.
Denver's always had the funny property of having fairly little north/south
traffic, but it is really well placed
for east-west, and has a fair O+D base. However, with the industry
suffering the way it is, it may be
really hard for any of the current network carriers to pick up the slack.
Frontier would love to pick
up some of the traffic, but... I don't see them being able to grow as fast
as a major could... But.. they
might well be positioned to limit any one of the currently weakened majors
from having a shot at
moving in, due to the assurance of low fares in key markets. Ugly that...

- David