Midwest Airlines bookings went down when war started

Midwest Airlines bookings went down when war started

MILWAUKEE (AP) =97 Midwest Airlines says its travel bookings dropped about=
=20
10% during the first week after war broke out in Iraq. But "once this=20
conflict is over, I think we are going to see a little bit of a pop in the=
=20
economy," Timothy Hoeksema, the firm's president and chief executive=20
officer, said in an interview Monday with Milwaukee Journal Sentinel=20
editors and reporters.
Profits will return, but not like before, he said. "I don't think we will=20
ever see the type of yields that we had at one time,"  Hoeksema said. The=20
airline is well into its plan to furlough about 450 employees, roughly 13%=
=20
of its work force, and it has also cut routes and the frequency of flights.=
=20
"Beginning this month, and in May and June, we will see some pretty=20
significant savings," Hoeksema said. Midwest has put a second Boeing 717=20
into service, as the airline stays on track with a plan to acquire 25 of=20
the new jet aircraft at a rate of about one plane per month for two years.=
=20
"People have asked why we are spending all of this money on new airplanes=20
when we are laying off people and are in tough times," Hoeksema said.=20
"Well, the fact is the 717s are going to help us move out of tough times,=20
partly because they are 25 percent more fuel-efficient" than the McDonnell=
=20
Douglas DC-9s that have been used. But Hoeksema said he expects some=20
"shrinkage" in the airline industry. "Right now, there is probably 20% too=
=20
much domestic capacity. Until some of that excess capacity goes away, or=20
demand comes back, the industry is going to continue to struggle," Hoeksema=
=20
said

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/