US Airways warns Pittsburgh hub could go

US Airways warns Pittsburgh hub could go

PITTSBURGH (AP) =97 US Airways has warned that it could pull out of=20
Pittsburgh, its most costly hub, if further cost-cutting is unsuccessful=20
and it needs to scale back to two national hubs, Allegheny County's top=20
elected official says. The warning came Friday as US Airways officials met=
=20
with representatives of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County in the first talks=
=20
on the airline's bid to negotiate less costly leases, county Chief=20
Executive Jim Roddey said. Roddey, who attended the meeting, said US=20
Airways canceled its lease at Pittsburgh's airport, which is the costliest=
=20
of the airline's three hubs, which also include Philadelphia and Charlotte,=
=20
N.C. "Pittsburgh was the only place where they canceled the lease, and they=
=20
have done that because if they have to go to two hubs because of cost, that=
=20
Pittsburgh would be the hub they would sacrifice," Roddey said. US Airways,=
=20
the nation's seventh-largest airline, revealed plans to renegotiate leases=
=20
late Sunday night =97 the night before it  emerged from bankruptcy with=20
promises to cut annual costs and turn a profit as early as next year.

Pittsburgh is the Arlington, Va.-based airline's costliest hub; the average=
=20
cost per passenger is $7 =97 more than double the $3 per passenger cost at=
=20
Charlotte, Roddey said. Roddey said US Airways Chief Executive Officer=20
David Siegel gave a target of how much officials would need to reduce costs=
=20
at the airport but declined to reveal the figures, citing the ongoing=20
negotiations.
US Airways officials declined to discuss the negotiations, saying they=20
would not "debate this issue in the press." "We'll continue discussions and=
=20
negotiations with Allegheny County until we can reach an agreement that=20
enables us to reduce our cost structure to the point where we can sustain=20
regular jet operations in Pittsburgh," said spokesman David Castelveter.=20
Pittsburgh is hobbled by $673 million debt resulting from more than $1=20
billion in bonds used to pay for a new passenger terminal and other airport=
=20
improvements that were done in the 1990s at the request of US Airways,=20
Roddey said.

Almost half of the airport's $135 million annual operating budget =97 $62=20
million =97 is used toward paying off the bonds.
Most of U.S. Airways costs in Pittsburgh, about $50 million, comes from the=
=20
airline's share of the debt payments. US Airways paid $67.1 million in 2002=
=20
rental charges and landing fees to the Allegheny County Airport Authority,=
=20
which manages the Pittsburgh airport. "From an operational point of view,=20
if you take out the debt service, we are much more efficient than either=20
Charlotte or Philadelphia. ... It's the debt service that is hurting,"=20
Roddey said. The debt could also dissuade other airlines from replacing US=
=20
Airways if the airline leaves, Roddey said. Roddey conceded there was=20
little leeway to reduce costs, especially the debt, but cost-cutting could=
=20
include refinancing the bonds, renegotiating contracts with airport workers=
=20
or help from the state.
Roddey said he talked to Gov. Ed Rendell about a statewide plan to reduce=20
costs at both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Half of the airline's 34,000=20
employees work in Pennsylvania. In Washington, Pennsylvania lawmakers=20
curtly reminded US Airways of past congressional help, while trying to aid=
=20
the airline further.

For months, Sens. Arlen Specter and Rick Santorum, both R-Pa., tried to=20
ease the airline's financial burdens with legislation to revise federal tax=
=20
laws and give US Airways an extraordinary 30-year cushion to pay $3.1=20
billion in employee pension obligations. On Thursday, Pittsburgh-area=20
Republican Melissa Hart, and fellow Pittsburgh-area lawmakers Reps. Mike=20
Doyle, D-Pa., and Tim Murphy, R-Pa., voted for a House spending bill to=20
give airlines $3.2 billion in federal assistance. US Airways also received=
=20
a critical $900 million loan guaranteed by the federal government Monday=20
after it left bankruptcy. Doyle said lawmakers were "frustrated" over US=20
Airways' negotiation plans, but "that's water over the dam now, and what=20
we're all concerned about at this point is discussion about how to keep=20
Pittsburgh a hub. "Our feelings don't stay hurt for long," Doyle said.

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/