No tears shed for Air Canada ...Travel agents say the airline is badly managed and nasty to deal with

No tears shed for Air Canada ...Travel agents say the airline is badly
managed and nasty to deal with
John Bermingham  The Province  Wednesday, April 02, 2003

No tears were shed by travel agents when Air Canada flew into bankruptcy
protection yesterday. Despite a vast monopoly, Air Canada could not
overcome its own bad management and bad customer relations, they said.
"It's their own doing," said travel agent Marius Enthoven of Travel
Headquarters in Vancouver. "I don't think they've listened to the
traveller." Enthoven blamed the airline's complex pricing of tickets,
gouging of the business traveller and overpriced one-way fares. "You phone
Air Canada and you get nothing but bureaucracy," he said of its customer
service. "They are unpleasant. They love to quote rules at you and they are
not willing to do anything for you. "They have forgotten that the customer
who travels in that seat, and who makes a phone call, may be a nuisance,
may ask stupid questions, but they pay their salaries." The Canadian
Standard Travel Agent Registry (CSTAR), which represents 900 travel
agencies in Canada, sent a searing open letter to the federal government
yesterday, laying the blame squarely on Air Canada. Most airlines,
including Air Canada "say their troubles are largely the result of the
Sept. 11 [2001] terrorist attacks, the poor economy, the war in Iraq, the
unfolding SARS epidemic and countless other elements beyond their control,"
said CSTAR CEO Bruce Bishins.

But he said Air Canada and other airlines "were in deep trouble before
Sept. 11 -- troubles which were entirely a result of poor stewardship and
ineffective management." Air Canada employees at Vancouver airport
yesterday were not surprised to learn the airline had filed for bankruptcy
protection, and said they'd been anticipating the worst. "People are bummed
out," said a ground worker who did not want to be named. "You put 25 years
into the company and get a layoff notice." He said he has already survived
seven rounds of layoffs, and now expects a wage cut. Flight attendants
figure they'll take a big job-loss hit, while some managers have been
opting for buyouts. Air Canada pilots, who earn up to $220,000 a year and
have job security until April 2004, may be asked to take wage rollbacks,
but have so far refused to talk. Their 2.5-per-cent wage hike kicks in
today. South of the border, some 2,500 American Airlines' pilots lost their
jobs yesterday and the others had their salaries slashed by 23 per cent.

While it's business as usual for Air Canada passengers, some were shaking
their heads that a monopoly airline could go bust. "I was shocked -- I
didn't think it would ever actually happen," said traveller Paul Rathwell,
34, of Vancouver. His girlfriend, Dana Petts, 30, was concerned about her
57,000 Aeroplan points. She said she still prefers Air Canada over other
airlines, adding: "I've never had any problems. I like flying Air Canada."
Josue Digap, 29, had just dropped off his resume to Air Canada, unaware the
airline had gone into bankruptcy protection. "Where are those people going
now?" he wondered. "I guess I have to find other options."

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site/TnTisland.com
Roj (Roger James)

escape email mailto:ejames@xxxxxxxxx
Trinbago site: www.tntisland.com
Carib Brass Ctn site www.tntisland.com/caribbeanbrassconnection/